Bouncing Betty

This past week I just picked up a new addition to my little collection. She's a 1971 Datsun 521 that I have dubbed "Bouncing Betty" due to the atrocious ride quality at the moment. She took the name Betty for the WW2 Japanese bombers which carried Ohka's (giant human guided bombs) into battle. It seemed fitting due to my other Datsun.

Anyways I picked it up for $800 which seems to be a decent deal as it has 60k miles with documentation to prove it and no bad rust anywhere on the thing. I tried driving her home after not being registered since '90. That ended in failure and I got her towed up to Portland. As of now I am waiting on a Weber since I don't want to deal with the Hitachi carburetor. 

Right now the goal is to get her to daily diver status so I can take the OhkaZ off the road for a 1uz swap. I need to fix the rotted wiring for the head and tail lights and install the new carb. That's all it should really take but I will be adding a lot to this car as time passes. 

oiNy4Aql.jpg

3D6ykTYl.jpg

JuA9d8Gl.jpg

BLAFKKhl.jpg

gB8y1Hbl.jpg

C1mNlJtl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The German S-mine (Schrapnellmine, Springmine or Splittermine in German), also known as the "Bouncing Betty", is the best-known version of a class of mines known as bounding mines. When triggered, these mines launch into the air and then detonate at about 0.9 meters (3 ft). The explosion projects a lethal spray of shrapnel in all directions.

• Like 1

Squirrel!!!

Ooo, look. A dragonfly.

Yeah I know the bouncing Betty is also a mine. It's purely coincidence, I may change the name to something else but Betty is staying for obvious reason. 

The German S-mine (Schrapnellmine, Springmine or Splittermine in German), also known as the "Bouncing Betty", is the best-known version of a class of mines known as bounding mines. When triggered, these mines launch into the air and then detonate at about 0.9 meters (3 ft). The explosion projects a lethal spray of shrapnel in all directions.

• Like 1

In due time I will be getting rid of a lot of stuff on this thing. The guy I got it from put 4" lowering blocks on it which is a bit much. 

maybe get rid of the shock spring set up.
But 521 were never known for a great ride quality.
Thats why I just did a 3inch drop. any more the bearing on the 5 speed in under pressure unless the is a spacer for the carrier bearing

Thanks I loved the combo myself. I am leaving the paint alone, it has character.

Seriously, cool 521.

Crazy color combo.

Yeah honestly I am not sure whats going on there. I need to pull that crap out and just toss in a pair of struts. More pics in due time. I will get the new carb tomorrow and I am going to pull the tail lights to rewire them tonight. 

And are those coilovers i see in the rear?

• Like 1

personally it looks fine. I like lower also but my 521 is a daily driver so I need a littlw more clearance than gangsta style.

But if it inst on the front stops(pull the rubber stopper out might give a inch more travel then just call it good.

just find some bumberetts and buff it out as I like the patina

maybe make that red stripe white then paint the wheels white. Keep the stock wheels!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1