Troubleshooting engine removal

So my 710 has been sitting with half a L18 in it for a solid year or 2 now and I finally got the motivation to work on it again. I had hastily removed the head last I worked on it and now need to remove the rest of it so I can swap in a built L20b I have. Problem is I cant remove the driveplate bolts because the head is off and the timing chain gets caught up when I try to move the plate around to get to the bolts. Short of rebuilding and replacing the head onto the engine(No cam or towers on it) are there any ways I can go about detaching the engine from trans so i can pull it out.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously you didn't wedge the timing chain to prevent the tensioner falling out, but no matter now. Have someone pull up on the timing chain to remove any slack near the crank sprocket. You might have to back the engine up slightly to un-jam the chain. Do NOT use the starter with fingers in there!!! Turn flex plate or crank bolt by hand.

• Like 1

Yeah I didn't have one when I initially did it and thought it wouldn't matter since I was pulling the motor anyway, boy was I wrong. I had tried what you said before I posted but I tried it again and it worked lol goddamn miracle. Thanks for the help now I just have to get the rest of the trans bolts to move.

• Like 2