Advance Auto Distributor

Retro Wave

hello everyone, I have 2 small questions about a distributor i just receieved today 7/16/15. I wanted to upgrade my fathers datsun to electric and so i went ahead and bought an electronic distributor from Advance Auto - Part # 31-621. now here are my questions,

1. where am i suppose to hook up the red and green wires?

- Im guessing red goes to coil positive AND Green goes to Coil negative... thats it?

2. do i need anything else (meaning ignition module)

Sorry for the very simply questions but i looked and i couldn't find the info. i don't want to burn my distributor by connecting it wrong

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hello everyone, I have 2 small questions about a distributor i just receieved today 7/16/15. I wanted to upgrade my fathers datsun to electric and so i went ahead and bought an electronic distributor from Advance Auto - Part # 31-621. now here are my questions,

2. where am i suppose to hook up the red and green wires?

- Im guessing red goes to coil positive AND Green goes to Coil negative... thats it?

2. do i need anything else (meaning ignition module)

Sorry for the very simply questions but i looked and i couldn't find the info. i don't want to burn my distributor by connecting it wrong

No picture no clue as to which one you have, my best guess is that you do NOT have the dist that has the module mounted to the dist.  What motor is is it, 4 or 6 cylinder?  No module on the side, you will need 1)  MSD box 2) GM HEI module or 3) you will have to get the transistor box from a 620 or some suck..  Not enough info to make a good guess for you

That is a 'Remote Igniter' style distributopr. It needs an out board electronics box (usually located under the dash in order to work. DO NOT connect it to the coil!!!

Go to a wrecking yard or NAPA and get an HEI unit (under $20) and wire in as shown above. Make sure that you get a matching EI coil or you will fry your old one. Any coil '78 and newer.

• Like 1

damn my pocket is hurting. the GM HEI unit isn't bad for $20 but that Transistor ignition box $200! ... how about this other electronic distributor part number #31-624 from Advance auto  for a 1981 datsun 210 - A14 engine.  do i need anything for that distributor? I should have done my homework more better and ask before buying

do you mean the black box under the kickpanel? I check there before on both sides and i  don't see any transistor ignition (big black box). as for the coil i have an "MSD blaster 2" on right now

Let me make this suggestion, Rather than killing your wallet and running you up a wall, IF your existing points type distributor is in good condition, get the Pertronix unit.  Eliminates the points and condenser straight bolt in, you can keep your current coil.

I have used the Pertronix units since the 80's without a failure IF they are installed correctly.

The PN is 1741

I was also thinking of that as an opition as well but was alittle worry about the distributors condition. to think the distributor cost me about $70 brand new  + the shipping that i paid extra to get it here quick - if i went with free shipping then it would have cost about the same as the Pertronix - thats the reason why i went with the distributor. I guess i'll be losing the shipping cost on the return.

so if i bought #31-624 distributor with the black box on the side would i need the "transistor ignition box" or anything extra to connect/get? since now i have to return the distributor #31-621 i got today back to Advance auto and start to think about my options. Pertronix or Distributor #31-624. As of now i am going to try again and play with the points since i won't be able to get anything by friday....

so if i bought #31-624 distributor with the black box on the side would i need the "transistor ignition box" or anything extra to connect/get? since now i have to return the distributor #31-621 i got today back to Advance auto and start to think about my options. Pertronix or Distributor #31-624. As of now i am going to try again and play with the points since i won't be able to get anything by friday....

No transistor box is needed, it's a bolt in except for a new coil, Pertronix, bolt in same coil!

That is a 'matchbox' distributor, meaning the ignition control module (transistor box?) is already attached. Get a matching year ignition coil and you're good.

• Like 1