68 dime ignition key location

crewy

I have a 68 4dr that the ignition key location is on the right of the steering colum. I've seen them on the dash next to choke. Trying to make sure that it wasn't installed this way cus they didn't want it on the left side. It's not Jimmy rigged by any means it actually has the plastics around it. Any ideals. Don't have pics right now due to its at the keepers getting a lil massage done.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 68 4dr that the ignition key location is on the right of the steering colum. I've seen them on the dash next to choke. Trying to make sure that it wasn't installed this way cus they didn't want it on the left side. It's not Jimmy rigged by any means it actually has the plastics around it. Any ideals. Don't have pics right now due to its at the keepers getting a lil massage done.

'68 ignitions were as shown in the picture above.  It was only done this one year. The '69 was the first year it was mounted on the steering column. Not clear other than you say yours is on the right side. If in the dash on the right then someone did this.

The '68 had horizontal heater controls on the right side of the steering wheel below the speedometer.

The '69 had vertical heater controls on the right side of the steering wheel below the speedometer.

• Like 1

That's why I ask. Cus it is a 68 heater slide left to right. I should of had taken pics before making this tread duh. It's on the right side right next to the colum like the left side. Not in the dash on right side. I can,see if I can get some pics. Just thought I would ask.

If not in the dash it must be on the column. Most have a two piece 'clam shell' plastic cover that molds around the column below the steering wheel hiding the turn signal switch and holding the ignition key. If on the right this may be from a later car or truck. Or perhaps the complete steering column was swapped. My 710 has the ignition key mounted on the right side of the column, so did my 620 truck. They look (more or less) like the picture below BUT on the right side

LfYmP0A.jpg