R200 Differential into a 510

So I've been reading tons and tons of forums and there is never a straight answer so I'll ask here. Every forum that i read gets side tracked to where the original question gets lost and forgotten (literally) due to people complaining on why get a r200 differential when you can get a r180/160 then people get more complicated on the technical terms of the difference in the differentials.

So this past weekend, I was lucky enough to make a trip to Canada (best place for Datsun parts) and picked myself up a r200 CLSD Differential and the CV Shafts from an 88 300zxt. The reason for the r200 was basically I couldn't pass it up knowing some people say it's way more than needed plus i had another person willing to sell me a open diff r200 i could have converted to LSD.

What I've been trying to research is what do I need to do to properly install this bad boy.

Things I know and read:

Wolf's Creek has a CV Conversion Kit

Passenger side will be an issue due to length

Can use 280zx U Joints (?) but can only handle so much

Will need a different/modded mustache bar (probably order one from Datsport)

To use the 300zxt CV Shafts, the passenger side needs to be shortened but unfortunately i don't have a machine shop to re-spline the shaft

So the question is, is there more needed to make this install work?

Also what driveshafst are people using for an r200 to SR20?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What engine are you running that you think you need an R-200? They are boat anchors and 3.7 ratio same as your 510 so no improvement there.

Did you confirm that it is a clutch LSD? Viscous LSDs were used from January '88 and on.

• Like 1

So I've been reading tons and tons of forums and there is never a straight answer so I'll ask here. Every forum that i read gets side tracked to where the original question gets lost and forgotten (literally) due to people complaining on why get a r200 differential when you can get a r180/160 then people get more complicated on the technical terms of the difference in the differentials.

So this past weekend, I was lucky enough to make a trip to Canada (best place for Datsun parts) and picked myself up a r200 CLSD Differential and the CV Shafts from an 88 300zxt. The reason for the r200 was basically I couldn't pass it up knowing some people say it's way more than needed plus i had another person willing to sell me a open diff r200 i could have converted to LSD.

What I've been trying to research is what do I need to do to properly install this bad boy.

Things I know and read:

Wolf's Creek has a CV Conversion Kit  GOOD BUT EXPENSIVE!

Passenger side will be an issue due to length  YUP

Can use 280zx U Joints (?) but can only handle so much  SURE

Will need a different/modded mustache bar (probably order one from Datsport)  MODDED DIY

To use the 300zxt CV Shafts, the passenger side needs to be shortened but unfortunately i don't have a machine shop to re-spline the shaft  YUP EXPENSIVE IF YOU CAN FIND A SHOP THAT WILL EVEN DO IT FOR YOU

So the question is, is there more needed to make this install work?  YES, stick with the R180

Also what driveshafst are people using for an r200 to SR20?  WHY ARE YOU GUYS ALWAYS TRYING TO REINVENT THE WHEEL?

datzenmike - I plan on using it for a SR20. As to the if the r200 I picked up is a VLSD, I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the CLSD were used in all the late model 300zx turbos (87-88). The only VLSD were in the 88SS version of the 300zx (Shiro Special). Easiest way for me to confirm is to count the splines since the VLSD r200 Diff from the Shiro is a different count.  Also I'm quite positive the guy who sold it to me didn't own a Shiro due to the fact he's owned it for 7 years and it was red while the Shiros came in pearl white. Also heard stories how those with SR20 tend to break their R180s so since i was able to find an original r200 LSD might as well use it.

Doctor510 - yes guys are trying too reinvent the wheel that's why it's hard for guys like me find it a hard time to just find the correct forums where the simple information are with having to fabricate or spend the extra money for fabricated stuff. I've read that some users are using drive shafts from Drive Shaft Shop but they don't necessarily make them for 510's so it's hard to even figure out which to get (also it's freaking expensive). I see what you did there with the R180 suggestion :thumbup:

Toylet - not sure if you meant drive shaft shop as in the website or a drive shaft shop shop like auto shop haha

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...