280z - Rear bumper got creamed yesterday by a motorcycle

I got rear ended yesterday by a dude on a Harley. Guy was insured luckily. But, wondering how hard the insurance company is going to try to low-ball me on repair since it's a 1978 with high mileage. Any suggestions on where to get a rear bumper ?

2vxpymu.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"it's a 1978 with high mileage."

NO!   You have a collector car.  

Insurance companies are obligated to replace with "Like kind and quality"   You start with a Nissan dealer, and see if a bumper is available, and even if not, try to get a retail price on one. 

Get at least three quotes from different body shops.  If possible include a Nissan dealer in one quote.   Remember you have  a collector car.  Get quotes for shops that do collector car quality.

Also scan E-bay, and other sources for parts.

Bumpers are just metal.  They can be straightened, and rechromed.  That is another possibility, repair what you have.

You were rear ended.  How is your back? 

The other insurance company does not care about you or your car.  All they want is you to sign a check, and the fine print on that check releases them from further liability.   Make sure the check is worth it

Insurance companies are not in business to give out money.  Hopefully, you do not have the same insurance company as the person who hit you.

• Like 1

that is a drag. It certainly took a hard hit.

Yesterday I noticed my 720 from bumper got damaged. Not as big a hit as yours. It was hit by a boat propeller which is of course an odd collision. I have it at a storage yard and either the owner of the boar or the yard people backed the boat trailer up into it. Both parties are denying that they did it but of course one of them is lying. You can see the curve of the propeller blade impressed into the license plate.