Trying to source a 720 Seat Bun and a couple of springs...

720inOlyWa

Drivers side seat rehab project. Maybe I can graft some foam bits onto the seat bun, shape them, and save it. Probably, I could. But a better seat bun would sure be great. More pressing to this project, I found one of the side springs and one main seat springs are broken, so I am looking for a source for those two, for sure.

If you have or know where to find seat springs and a seat bun for a 720 KC bucket seat, circa 1985, I would love to know about it.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. All I needed was a tumbleweed bouncing through this thread and we would have had the most abandoned plea in the history of Ratsun!  I guess you are on your own for seat buns and springs, huh. Okay, okay, I’ll figure it out...

• Like 1

Well, I did what you all said... only I raised the stakes a little bit.

I bought a donor truck. It has a good passenger seat- at least the internals are good- and the driver’s side will have some harvestable spring components as well. So I am good for parts, thanks. I think I started this thread with a little bit of panic, thinking I would never find a good seat bun. Then I tore all the way into my seat and discovered how interchangeable everything is and my fears abated quite a bit. These seats are actually so simple and straightforward that I am going to seize this opportunity to harvest enough parts to rebuild the drivers seat in both of my rigs. I may even experiment with adding a third side spring to the outside rail of the drivers seat, just to see it that helps it hold up a little better.

• Like 1

I have a pair of 1980 720 bucket seats in Seattle. The upholstery and foam no good but the springs and seat frame are all intact.

Local pickup only, they are free! Come and get them ASAP as I don't have space to store them.

For some reason the maker of the Datsun seats did not tie the seat springs together with cross wires. That is something simple you can do to increase the support. You will need strong wire, the auto upholstery shops do it with "rim wire". You will also need clips and pliers to tie the springs to the wire. Here is a video showing this type of wire being done on the no sag springs in a furniture business. Obviously it will need to be done a bit differently for a car seat but it gives you an idea of how structurally those springs should have been secured to each other to prevent the no sag springs from spreading apart when you sit in the seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DQaLZyiPRM

• Like 2

I have a pair of 1980 720 bucket seats in Seattle. The upholstery and foam no good but the springs and seat frame are all intact.

Local pickup only, they are free! Come and get them ASAP as I don't have space to store them.

For some reason the maker of the Datsun seats did not tie the seat springs together with cross wires. That is something simple you can do to increase the support. You will need strong wire, the auto upholstery shops do it with "rim wire". You will also need clips and pliers to tie the springs to the wire. Here is a video showing this type of wire being done on the no sag springs in a furniture business. Obviously it will need to be done a bit differently for a car seat but it gives you an idea of how structurally those springs should have been secured to each other to prevent the no sag springs from spreading apart when you sit in the seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DQaLZyiPRM

Oh, that is a cool idea! Too late for this seat, but definitely going to do that on the next one. Thanks!

• Like 1

Oh, that is a cool idea! Too late for this seat, but definitely going to do that on the next one. Thanks!

Nice meeting you today when you came to get my free seats in Seattle. Glad you liked the rust free springs and extra trim pieces that were still intact on the seats.