transmission problems.

datson35

Hey guys how's everyone doing. I got another problem on my truck is an 86 kingcab manual that won't shift out of reverse. before it would just stick til I roll back a bit then quickly shift to first that's what usually worked. Though note it won't shift out of reverse. I had to push the clutch in and pick it off to curb any help would greatly be appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shut engine off. Will it shift out of reverse now?

This is why I asked. the above.

I think your clutch is not disengaging. Check the clutch master for fluid. If low it may have air trapped in it and need to be bled.

• Like 2

He specifically said he had to push in the clutch to roll it off the street.  The transmission  is stuck in reverse- usually an internal problem (I've had one that would shift into every gear, but reverse was always engaged, even in neutral).  So the clutch has to be working, or he won't be able to even start it.

Can't be fixed without disassembling the transmission (or replacing it).  Forcing it out of reverse when it started getting sticky probably bent something inside.

• Like 2

Was thinking maybe the disc was dragging. Like trying to slip out of gear while climbing a hill. The load on the gear prevents it.

With the transmission out, remove the reverse check sleeve and look in with a flashlight. The 5th/Rev shift rod may just need to be pulled back into the neutral gate. You can do the same by removing the front cover plate and push the top rod back even with the other two. 

transFS5W71Bin5th001.jpg

Middle right. Bottom gate needs to be moved to line up with other two. (actually that's in 5th.... reverse would be too far forward and need to be moved the the rear and lined up)

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx008Large.jpg

Top of picture. The round rod on the right needs to be pushed back even with the other two.

The problem can be fixed but no guarantees that the cause is gone and it won't do it again.

• Like 2

The divorced trans case is good, it just stays where it is. Just remove the driveshaft from between them. The 2wd is a total ball breaker to get the transmission out. Exhaust and torsion bars are in the way... 4x4is five times that! 

• Like 1

Dumb question but it could be caused by low gear oil? Just check it and it seem pretty low.checking all my options before I take out the tranny.

Lot easier than being stubborn about pulling the unit.

These guys are trying to help you, not give you a hassle,

There's probably 200 years on combined experience. 

• Like 1

I tried pulling a 720 trans w/o pulling the engine...  It came out with a lot of effort.  Going back in...  I ended up unbolting the cab from the frame (and the steering), then jacking the cab up about a foot in the back to get the trans in and still bent up the shifter hole.  Last time I try that method.  The next one I removed the radiator and fan, then unbolted the motor mounts and picked it up just enough to slide it forward so the trans would clear the middle crossmember.  That worked somewhat better.

It's still less frustrating to just pull the engine/trans together, because it's far easier to get the trans back ON when you aren't fighting its weight and tendency to roll when you try to line up the input shaft.

As far as low trans oil, well, filling it won't hurt...  it also likely won't help.  But it certainly could have contributed/caused the problem in the first place.

• Like 1

Dumb question but it could be caused by low gear oil? Just check it and it seem pretty low.checking all my options before I take out the tranny.

If it's low, it's probably because it's leaking. Pulling the trans will now allow you to replace the seals and reseal the centerplate and front cover.

You should be so lucky. What you have is one of the easiest trucks to work on. Try doing what you're attempting on anything post '90. And if you have a modern FWD car...forget it.

Pull up your bootstraps, attack it like you mean it. Get it done.

• Like 2

I took the transmission out and weird thing is when I put it on the work bench it popped outta gear and is shifting again? Is that an ok thing or should I be worried if I put it back in would happen again? Should I risk it? I called all the local junkyards and they don't have my transmission model.

• Like 1

Here's something you can check without taking the transmission apart.

All shift forks are held in any gear position or neutral position by detent or check balls that are spring loaded. The shift rod has three ball shaped matching notches in it for when in a gear or when not used and in neutral. The spring loaded check ball drops down into these notches and resists being moved back up the slope.

post-25317-0-83858300-1427816898.jpg

The 5th/reverse shift rod is the bottom one so look on the steel adapter plate sandwiched between the front and rear aluminum cases. The bottom hex plug holds a spring and ball inside.

post-25317-0-73189400-1427904350.jpg

Carefully remove the plug but keep in mind there is a spring under it that may want out! If the spring is broken or missing the transmission may have trouble staying in or out of a gear.

• Like 3