200mm versus 225mm clutch

Eriks

Hi, the L20B had 200mm clutch on the cars and 225mm clutch on the trucks.

I have a L20B from a 620 that I will use in a 610. However the clutch and flywheel is from the 620 and is 225mm.

Datzenmike, who has been very helpful with advices, suggested that the larger clutch might rub inside of the transmission.

But if it does not (and some say it doesnt) ..  would there be any other disadvantages or benefits using the larger clutch?

Appreciate all thoughts on this, thanks. 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/66803-610-coupe-project/

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another member posted these results.....

I'm worried that it will 'rub' the inside of the transmission....

So here's the difference in the discs photo2_zps3fe34a2e.jpg

Here's where the pressure plate rubbed the bell housing when I turned the engine over by hand

photo1_zps0a0427ff.jpg

Here's what I'm up against trying to get it running now

th_IMG_3401_zps667d4bab.jpg

Any ideas ??

The four speed is an F4W63 your 4 speed is an FS5W63A and fits the same engines. It is always used with a 200mm pressure plate. I don't know of it will work with a 225mm or not.

Clutches are made by different makers and some may work, some might not. This 225mm (above) didn't. The flywheels that fit the L series are almost identical to look at. Mostly it's the different bolt pattern for the pressure plate that makes them different. The 225mm clutch is a larger diameter than the 200mm and the 240mm is larger than the 225mm.

The very common F4W63L and later F4W63 were used on the 521, 510, 610,710, A10 all used a 200mm clutch.

Did he convert from an auto? Autos have a spacer between the crank and the flex plate. Leaving that on and installing a flywheel would cause issues, regardless of clutch size. I've never heard of a 225mm PP rubbing the bell.

My dad ran a 225mm clutch (don't remember brand) with an FS5W63A; no issues.

• Like 1

Did he convert from an auto? Autos have a spacer between the crank and the flex plate. Leaving that on and installing a flywheel would cause issues, regardless of clutch size. I've never heard of a 225mm PP rubbing the bell.

My dad ran a 225mm clutch (don't remember brand) with an FS5W63A; no issues.

I've tried this and the flywheel does not fit over the crank end with the spacer on. I suppose someone that doesn't know better might be able to get the bolts in and clamp it in place but ....

The FS5W63A is the dogleg 5 speed a different transmission that the F4W63. The later truck and six cylinder 71B is much larger again inside.

The F4W63 was used in the 510, 521, 610, and (73 only) 620, in L-series design.  Some, but not all, 225mm pressure plates will rub the insides of those.

The F4W63L was used in the 710 and A10. 

The FS5W63A "Dogleg" was used in the "S10" 200SX and the A10.

All the above came stock with only the 200mm clutch, so that's all that's guaranteed to fit.  225mms usually fit the L and A subversions, and usually DON'T fit the original version, but some do and some don't either way.  If you forget to install the sandwich plate between the engine and trans, you can almost guarantee it'll rub.

The 71-series transmissions were designed for the 225mm clutch.  The 240mm clutch was designed to fit inside the 71-series bell.

If it fits, and does not rub, use it.  Pay attention to throwout bearing collar height.  That part is matched to the pressure plate

Learned this today the hard way. Gotta drop the tranny now.. again.