A bit of history and politics.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this not in insomniacs?.....

I will leave this to datzenmike but, this forum is a place to discuss anything.

The point of the article is that other small manufacturers are cut out of the market because of an import tax imposed in 1963. Your gov. What if Nissan decided not to build in the US? To this day Toyota has the larger share of the market.

You lost me at politics, I fix

55073d0cd06ee686658234.gif

Yes, I can see this will not go far.

• Like 1

At one point the 620s were imported without the rear bumpers installed. By installing them on incompletely assembled vehicles at the dealer they could import them with out the tax through a loophole.... soon closed.

At one point the 620s were imported without the rear bumpers installed. By installing them on incompletely assembled vehicles at the dealer they could import them with out the tax through a loophole.... soon closed.

That's what Toyota does with the Tacoma, the bolt the bed on in guess where.....Tacoma!!!

• Like 1

"At one point the 620s were imported without the rear BEDS installed."  fixed.

There used to be a large parking lot off I-5 just south of Portland, OR, where hundreds of bedless 620 trucks sat.

That is why 620 trucks have the gas tank mounted on the frame, and not to the bed

Couple days ago I heard on the radio that Toyota is the most American vehicle of today, yes more than GM, Ford and Dodge....

I read an article about that,its true Toyota is the most American built car in the U.S. I believe it said it was the Camry.Sucks for a Toyota guy like me,just a matter of time until Toyotas quality will be compared to G.M.

When I bought my '79 620 Lil Husler new off the lot it did not have a bumper or radio. I don't recall the salesman asking me if I wanted a bumper or radio. For me, reading the article, it answered a long time question. Rode that truck hard, went from Napa to San Diego, up to Spokane, back down to San Diego and then back to Spokane. I had all four wheels off the ground at one time or another with other numerous adventures. The body rusted out and it died, I sold it about '89 with only 100,000 miles on it. Never did put a bumper on it.

You can fuck Toyota all you want but, that isn't going to change the market.

I read an article about that,its true Toyota is the most American built car in the U.S. I believe it said it was the Camry.Sucks for a Toyota guy like me,just a matter of time until Toyotas quality will be compared to G.M.

Yes, specifically the Camry.

Go see how many open recalls Toyota has going right now then come back. Toyota sucks. I hate them. 

• Like 1

Go see how many open recalls Toyota has going right now then come back. Toyota sucks. I hate them. 

All manufacturers have recall issues.The recall issues mine have had caused me no problems other than a trip to the dealer.The three trucks ive owned i put over a million miles on with NO issues at all.Whats your favorite reliable well built vehicle ?

With the GM recall debacle recently no auto maker want's to be seen as ignoring any problems. On the other side of the coil having current recalls actually reassures the public that oversight is working. The recall issue is so skewed today compared to 10 years ago I don't know what it means. 

Also, I read an article that the chicken tax is ending soon, allowing imports of the global ranger, Toyota hilux, VW Amarok and the like.

Here it is

http://www.autotrends.org/2015/07/02/about-that-chicken-tax-on-pickup-trucks/

I wouldn't get your hopes up, they will have to pass US safety standards which is not an easy thing.