a bad issue with my dash lights and tail lights

my running tail light will not come on nor will my marker lights  when my head lights are on? and my dash illumination lights don't either i have warning lights that all work and head lights, dome light but nothing else any advice ? maybe a good shop in the LA area to take it to 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuse or bad light switch.  Don't know which of your 5 listed vehicles this is; switches vary.  But the pull-knob ones do wear out or get corroded over time, I've had to disassemble many of them and clean the contacts, which made them work if they weren't broken.  2 now have had the bakelite board crack, which makes the switch fall apart.  Got by with zip ties holding one together until I found another one.  If the lights work intermittently when you wiggle the switch or have it "in between" positions, it's usually worn contacts inside, though cleaning them sometimes helps even well-worn ones.

The type with the switch on the turn signal stalk, well, when those go it's treasure hunt time, because I've never been able to fix one of those.  It's always been a broken plastic part.

D-aholic is right. When it's a cluster of lights like that, the issue is a main junction failure. If you don't find it's a blown fuse, Pull the light switch, flood it with contact cleaner and quickly tune it on and off a few times. Not a permanent fix, but it will identify an issue. Also clean the contacts on the plugs (switch and fuse box) with a fine file, or a strip of emery paper stretched over the tip of a small screw driver. 

Best of luck

D-aholic is right. When it's a cluster of lights like that, the issue is a main junction failure. If you don't find it's a blown fuse, Pull the light switch, flood it with contact cleaner and quickly tune it on and off a few times. Not a permanent fix, but it will identify an issue. Also clean the contacts on the plugs (switch and fuse box) with a fine file, or a strip of emery paper stretched over the tip of a small screw driver. 

Best of luck

A caution, emery paper dust is conductive and must be cleaned scrupously to prevent future problems,  "Crocus Cloth" is a safer alternative and comes in finer granulations.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

its the 72 1200

Fuse or bad light switch.  Don't know which of your 5 listed vehicles this is; switches vary.  But the pull-knob ones do wear out or get corroded over time, I've had to disassemble many of them and clean the contacts, which made them work if they weren't broken.  2 now have had the bakelite board crack, which makes the switch fall apart.  Got by with zip ties holding one together until I found another one.  If the lights work intermittently when you wiggle the switch or have it "in between" positions, it's usually worn contacts inside, though cleaning them sometimes helps even well-worn ones.

The type with the switch on the turn signal stalk, well, when those go it's treasure hunt time, because I've never been able to fix one of those.  It's always been a broken plastic part.

Well i did switch to a new one but that didnt help im in the same spot same issue with the new part

Best of luck