3D printerama or why I need to stop cluttering up other threads

4 hours ago, Draker said:

Thats an impressive print!

CR10 V2 at .15 layer height, couple minor errors.

Been very impressed so far with the printer. I also ran a few 20mm calibration cubes and it was holding 20.03+/-.02 on x,y,z dimensions with the included PLA.

Super quiet compared to the last printer, fan noise on the power supply is the loudest thing and that is barely noticeable.  Build quality is also extremely good. I still need to spend some time optimizing settings. Picked up this model because it also has the larger build volume, will need to build an enclosure to run ABS though.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 4
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Draker said:

I'm waiting for a Prusa in the mail. Maybe a few more weeks.

I have the mk3s. I didn't want to make using the printer a hobby, I just want to make stuff and move on, it has been excellent. I use PETG a lot and it comes up awesome even in draft mode. Building it with my 6 yr old took all day though, you could easily bang it together in 5hrs I reckon. You won't be disappointed,  the slicer is easy to use too, I export stl from fusion. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Modeled some storage trays for my crows feet and impact sockets.

Some might be asking why there is a 13mm and no 12mm... you'll have to ask HF. Set didn't have it.. and no one needs a 10,12, or 13mm impact anyway. Shit will snap before it breaks loose anyway.

BFF27F2F-3E8C-462B-9FC0-57D8D773C577.jpg
33B7BF99-A0F8-4A22-A529-3C2C04051CE5.jpg
F2F1C661-606D-4B43-8702-A72D58E59029.jpg
689BD97D-7575-41E4-820A-E754A9BE8530.jpg

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Draker said:

Modeled some storage trays for my crows feet and impact sockets.

Some might be asking why there is a 13mm and no 12mm... you'll have to ask HF. Set didn't have it.. and no one needs a 10,12, or 13mm impact anyway. Shit will snap before it breaks loose anyway.

BFF27F2F-3E8C-462B-9FC0-57D8D773C577.jpg
33B7BF99-A0F8-4A22-A529-3C2C04051CE5.jpg
F2F1C661-606D-4B43-8702-A72D58E59029.jpg
689BD97D-7575-41E4-820A-E754A9BE8530.jpg

Hey, don't be shitting up my bullshit thread with your cool and useful prints there LOL

Looks good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...

For those who ask about printing metal.

This company is currently the cheapest available I know of and is still about ~100k for a turnkey setup (150mm cube build area). Not bad for a small company or startup but outside the realm of the home user. Not an Ad just thought it was cool. 

https://store.oneclickmetal.com/en/

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Dguy210 said:

For those who ask about printing metal.

This company is currently the cheapest available I know of and is still about ~100k for a turnkey setup (150mm cube build area). Not bad for a small company or startup but outside the realm of the home user. Not an Ad just thought it was cool. 

https://store.oneclickmetal.com/en/

Ferrari uses a similar process for their titanium break pedals in their F1 cars

z4E0Qrb5XrqzxRmFA7-FvwVzwLhY3L90VOLTspHX

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Something in the works. This is the correct size so far but still need to get some of the fine curves and other details worked out. Approximate time to print is 15 hours at lowest resolution.

vent1200v1rough.png

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 3/17/2018 at 9:14 PM, Dguy210 said:

I probably need to remove the score on the letters but not bad for first shot. 

f7tbX1x.jpg?1

Would this work in a 620 do you think? 

Would you be willing to share the file?

I would like to print a switch panel for that space in my green truck. 🙂

• Like 2
5 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Would this work in a 620 do you think? 

Would you be willing to share the file?

I would like to print a switch panel for that space in my green truck. 🙂

It would probably work. The 620 one is just a hair bigger. I actually used a 620 one to model this and then just did some adjustment on the size. This is a lasercut file so should be as a SVG derived from an AI file. I cut this from a thin piece of two color plastic and then glued into another piece of thicker plastic to get the dimensions. I'll look for the file, on my old laptop.

I also made 3D printed versions if that is easier depending on your equipment.

Edit: Check your PM.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2

Draft piece to see what needs to be adjusted. Doesn't quite follow the curve of the original exactly but the bolt holes should be accurate. Mostly a test piece to see what needs to be modified.

ventinprogress.jpg

• Like 4
On 6/20/2021 at 12:24 AM, Dguy210 said:

Something in the works. This is the correct size so far but still need to get some of the fine curves and other details worked out. Approximate time to print is 15 hours at lowest resolution.

vent1200v1rough.png

I have a mold for doing these in carbon fiber. sacrificed a set off my green car.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

I have a mold for doing these in carbon fiber. sacrificed a set off my green car.

A carbon fiber set would pretty sweet.

I blame Morrisun for this as we were talking about it at Powerland and it has been scratching at my brain since.

You can tell I haven't faithfully reproduced the curve yet so I'm hoping I can tweak the mesh to that angle/curve, I have the bolt holes as a separate item so as long as they line up I can adjust the model around them and then eyeball in the curve to match the dimensions I measured. These are printed in PETG.

For best quality I had thought about casting these in resin off an original but I only have a good right one. I've done some fiberglass reinforced urethane resin casts before and they end up very strong so that would probably be how I'd do these if I went that route. 

638574692_venttest-Copy.thumb.png.576c290c51f46b79b229cb4c7912f382.png

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 4

Notes:

The good

The 3D printed model is stupidly strong, as in my fat ass can stand on it strong.

The shape is pretty close and print came out decent.

With some modifications I could likely make it work

The bad

The holes don't align very well (some do, but not all at the same time, I have the geometry off).

It really needs the angle modeled into 

I'm not sure if I can warp this sufficiently to make this model work or if I should rebuild it from scratch in a higher end program

Conclusion

Needs more work and it has been a while since I really dug into something like Fusion 360 to do any modeling, way rusty. Not sure if modifying the file I have will be faster or if it would be better to just start over with the curve already baked in. 

I have a prior to-size scan I did of the metal grate underneath the plastic I used for making some templates on my old computer (see image).

test-vent-3d-render.jpg

venttest3.jpg

• Like 4

Version 2 redesigned from the ground up. Will still need a few tweaks. I will probably print one test piece and then do some touchups. Want to make sure everything lines up this time.

ventrightv2.png

• Like 7

^^^^^ Oh My Holy Gawd!

I would be so down for a set of those...almost to the point of orally gratifying a long cylindrical object(almost).

The last set I got about oh, I don't know, maybe a lifetime ago and from who I have no idea were clear with no holes. I think this may have been before people had printers in their homes.  Painted them black and installed them on the green coupe. The grey coupe just has the "screen" that goes below.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 6/20/2021 at 3:31 PM, Dguy210 said:

Edit: Check your PM.

Thanks again, your measurements were spot on. I will get some pictures up of the final product once it is no longer just in my head 🙂

• Like 3

Version 2 test fit. Holes line up nicely. Once again way overbuilt, at 10% infill and PETG I can stand on it without issue. 

For Version 3 did some further refinement as the rear slope doesn't look quite right in person and where the front vent holes open up is to low, also the divider ribs are not the same size.

Version 3 printing and I did it as a mirrored version to make sure that works. Also tweaked some of the print settings to make it print about 25% faster.

This is not to be a meant to be an exact replica as my modeling skills are way too subpar for that level of detail. 

Edit: I'm fully expecting the final version to need sanding, painting and probably some minor trimming and touchups. Even printed at 0.28mm low quality they still take 11-14hrs per and just barely fit my build plate. 

Edit2: I'm also realizing I left a couple small tabs in the model that I thought got deleted on this version and I can see I might want to do some further refinement of the edge opening. The subtle curve this has makes it a bit of a pain in the ass.

ventver2right2jpg - Copy.jpg

ventver2right1 - Copy.jpg

version3vent.png

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 6

Revision 4. Still has a bit larger opening than the stock one but the look seems about right. Will probably tinker with it a tiny bit more but pretty close to acceptable now. 

ventv4-1 - Copy.png

ventv4-2 - Copy.png

ventv4-3 - Copy.png

• Like 7