720 4x4 help.

leahmm7

I recently bought a 1986 nissan 720 4x4. It came with a tired old Z20 carbd engine. And I'm thinking of looking into a ka24e, just wondering what I should look into as far as keeping the 4x4 available. As well as electronics. Any help appreciated. Will post pictures when It arrives at my house.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z20s were never installed in the 4x4 so someone has swapped it in. Definitely a light weight engine for pulling over a ton and a half truck.  Biggest problem will be oil pan clearance over the front differential. Fine a Z24, it will fit right in there.

• Like 1

Update. Z22. From a 240z. Just found the numbers. it is supposed to have a z24 in it. That would make sense, but I've heard that they only make 102 hp brand new. I'm hoping to gain a little more power than that. Mostly in torque.

• Like 1

The Z22 was only used in the '81-'82 720s and the '82-'83 S110 (200sx) The 200sx was a fuel injected engine. 

The Z24 makes 135 ft lbs of torque @ around 2,800. the KA24E about 150? @ 4,400. So if you want bottom end grunt without converting your electronics to EFI, custom engine mounts, high pressure fuel pump... get a Z24

• Like 1