1974 Datsun 710 4dr Watanabe Wheel Size?

New to the world of 710 ownership. I just picked up this original, no rust, one owner, parked for 20 years, and running 710.

I will be buying Watanabe rims, bronze or charcoal gray with a polished rim/lip. I dont want to modify the body to install fender flares but want the wheels/tires to look mean. Anybody have the info on sizes and what they have installed in theirs? photos of the results would be awesome. Also please confirm the lug/bolt pattern at 4x100?

Photo gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/studioceja/7ghr9f

Thanks.

All

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Points for asking. I see this all the time... someone buys rims because they like the look then they don't fit right and stick outside the fender 2" and body carves a big groove in the tread or it's a close fit and the body grinds the sidewall off. Never never never make the car fit the rims. You're on the right track. Do your homework and your 710 will show it. 

I have S110 factory mags on both my 710s and 215/60R14s on one car. I think they are 5 or 5.5J  wide but don't have the offset. Perfect fit though and both cars are lowered safely over them.

If you take one of your stock rims and measure the width and the back spacing you can then work out the correct off set for the width you would like and still keep it inside and away from the fender. No... I don't believe in fender rolling either. This falls under making the car fit the rims.

I feel strongly that when we are done with our Datsuns, that they go to a new owner to enjoy. In this event, our car will pass on to someone else to love and care for. Who hasn't had to fix up some Previous Owner's idea of 'fun'. Perhaps anything done to it should be reversible or the least amount of unchangeable. Just me, everyone else can customize and personalize all they want. If someone want's to make a 4 door into a 2 door that's their business but I will advise them to think it through.    

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the feedback Mike and Joel. Fender rolling doesn't bother me too much. Fender Flares and wide mean stance is exactly what I want. I a bit torn though, it wouldn't bother me too much either except for the need to cut out the stock fenders. From what I can tell in order to really get the wheel in there and to avoid the stock fender cutting into the tire one would have to cut out a section of the stock fender under the flares for it to sit correctly. If I decide to do this I will no longer have an all original and will need to paint it. Man this is a hard decision!

If you mean flattening that small roll on the lip of the fender... it is 'detrimental'. That roll adds rigidity to the edge and resists being pushed inwards/outwards and deforming it. Like a strip of paper compared to being rolled into a tube.

...and fuck stance. Make the wheels fit the car not the car fit the wheels. Anyone can cut the fenders off and throw flairs on a car if they can't be bothered to think first and do some work. Nothing worth doing is easy.  

• Like 1

Man you guys bitch about stance and flares a great deal. I'll admit the can I fit this questions are ridiculous (take some measurements, do some math) but you guys act like it's the end of the world if some one cuts sheet metal. I can't figure out why it's OK to hack up struts and cross members, but not body. Shitty flares can be cut off and stock looking style found and installed, even if they are from a different model car. Cuz it's visible? You think its ugly?

I'm plenty willing to admit the are lots of bad flare jobs out there. But there are sweet ones. Somehow i bet there was a time when there was a great deal of shitty frenching of lights going on, but frenched lights can still look sweet.

Not every discussion of fitment needs to be a rant on how stupid flares are, how stupid kids are for stance, or how terrible it looks. Just answer the damn question and move on, you aren't changing minds.

• Like 1

Man you guys bitch about stance and flares a great deal. I'll admit the can I fit this questions are ridiculous (take some measurements, do some math) but you guys act like it's the end of the world if some one cuts sheet metal. I can't figure out why it's OK to hack up struts and cross members, but not body. Shitty flares can be cut off and stock looking style found and installed, even if they are from a different model car. Cuz it's visible? You think its ugly?

I'm plenty willing to admit the are lots of bad flare jobs out there. But there are sweet ones. Somehow i bet there was a time when there was a great deal of shitty frenching of lights going on, but frenched lights can still look sweet.

Not every discussion of fitment needs to be a rant on how stupid flares are, how stupid kids are for stance, or how terrible it looks. Just answer the damn question and move on, you aren't changing minds.

First of all, crossmember cutting and flipping and replacing struts are an invisible improvement. Just like an engine swap. Flairs are for those not willing to fit the right tire and or rim. No Datsun needs a 10" tire. "Shitty flares can be cut off and stock looking style found and installed, even if they are from a different model car." Fenders from another Datsun cut off to fix a shitty flair job on another Datsun??? You should feel bad for saying this. If flairs are bad, then Frenching, or the removal of DOT side lighting besides being illegal and unsafe is retarted. You, may not care if I or anyone else can't see you on the road at night but I sure a hell do!!!

If a rant will preserve just one more Datsun from a stupid owner's poor judgment I will rant and give reasons.

I have S110 factory mags on both my 710s and they are a perfect within the fender fit. One 710 has 215/60R14s the other 205/70R14s. I think they are 5.5JJ rim.  If you can find out the offset for these that will give you a starting point. A larger width rim needs to go more positive off set to stay away from the fender.

I said nothing about cutting up another Datsun. Only a different car. I could care less what it is. Much like guys swap vw rabbit metal flares on to many cars, to get flared, the inverse works just as well. Deflare by cutting up the fenders from a junk sentra or even a neon if they happened to work.

I would rather see one more ugly Datsun on the road than one more hidden under a pile of garbage in someone's garage for ten years because they started a swap they couldn't handle.

Frenching is not removing all the side lighting. Frenching is the recessing of lights into the body work. I grant that you can in fact french side lights, but you can also french headlights, which is actually where I was going with that and has no bearing on whether or not you can see me.

And if safety is the real factor here, I stand by my original statement. It is hard to be sure how good a welder the PO was on a project car, but a busted spring perch weld or subframe weld is every bit as great a danger to other drivers as a recessed light.