L16 to L20 Swap

jayoop

Hey guys,

I'm looking to do this swap and know it is practically a drop-in. I was able to pickup an L20 block from a friend for $90 since it needs a bath. My questions is: somce I'm on a budget and trying to make this swap happen, what can I take off the L16 and put on the L20 to get it running well? I know the L16 heads have been put on L20 blocks before, but is there anything else I can use? The block came with the L20 block, crankshaft, rods, and timing cover. Any help/pointers are greatly appreciated as always! I should make a quick note to mention that I have both a 4 speed and 5 speed transmission with the stock 510 driveshaft.

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I'm looking to do this swap and know it is practically a drop-in. I was able to pickup an L20 block from a friend for $90 since it needs a bath. My questions is: somce I'm on a budget and trying to make this swap happen, what can I take off the L16 and put on the L20 to get it running well? I know the L16 heads have been put on L20 blocks before, but is there anything else I can use? The block came with the L20 block, crankshaft, rods, and timing cover. Any help/pointers are greatly appreciated as always! I should make a quick note to mention that I have both a 4 speed and 5 speed transmission with the stock 510 driveshaft.

Motor mounts from the current motor, oil pan from the current motor remember that the L20B is 3/4" taller that the L16, flywheel is 6 bolt rather that the 5 bolt L16,

You can choose your valve cover. And I'd stick with the cast iron exhaust manifold. Head stuff I'm not super knowledgable. I've always used L20B heads. I think some folks use the L18 heads for revs or stroke, not sure. And I also think the L16 can work. I'm surprised no one has confirmed that yet.

It's an L20B

Hey guys,

It's an L20B. The L20 is a six cylinder.

The 210 head from an L16 is a step backwards. It will work, as I have done this, but the compression will jump to 9.3 and this was in the mid 70s and gas was better then. The 210 head has small valves and ports and won't breathe very well. Additionally the cam is shit for a larger displacement L20B. Get a U67 head from another L20B.

The L16 square exhaust will fit the U67 head.

The L20B block vent exits vertically unlike the L16/18 that exits sideways from the block.

You will need a six bolt flywheel to fit the six bolt crank. The flywheel determines the clutch size and are available in 200mm, (used on L20B powered cars) 225mm, (are used on all L20B powered trucks and Z22 powered cars) or 240mm. (used on Z24 powered 720 trucks) If buying a clutch and pressure plate get the correct release bearing that is matched to it. 

• Like 1