Thermostat housing question

510farmer

I din't tap mine out but I could have.  I have some pipe taps in the shop and several size tap handles.  I worked maintenance in plants for years and was a machinist and tool and die maker for 16 years before retiring in 2013.  I knew enough about fitting tapered pipe fittings that if it screwed in by hand 1 1/2 turns that I could make it seal with teflon tape and tightening the crap out of it.  If you look at my pics you can tell the nipple that is in the housing did not screw in as far as the end that is screwed into the tee but it sealed and hasn't leaked a drop in about 10 years so for me it was a Happy Ratsun ending that cost me nothing but an hour or two of my time!  I understand if someone wishes to use the OEM parts and searches to find the exact size that it calls for.  I certainly respect that and it may help someone in the future who runs in to this same issue.  For me, it's all about what works and what is the least hassle for me to get the job done and get my truck going again.  I knew that I had the option, if it did not seal, to back it out and run a 1/4 NPT tap in there about 5-7 rounds and then I know it would seal.  I got lucky and it was close enough to the right size and TPI that it worked without tapping it out!

I completely agree that it would have sealed

Coming from a family of plumbing contractors I have Teflon tape a fittings coming out my nose

I'm just one of those people that has to know why and how

Same thing with my oil thrower question I couldn't find the answer I needed so my timing chain rebuild part of my motor stopped tell

I found the right answer

There was no intentional or unintentional disrespect to anyone on the way that they make things work on there cars

We are all just car enthusiast's trying to keep 40 yr plus cars on the road

Thx farmer

• Like 2
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't offended at all and I certainly aplaud you for finding the info you needed and glad everything worked out for you. I have learned so much about my Datsuns on here and I just like to help out others when I can.

• Like 1