• Please log in to reply
614 replies to this topic

#61 84720FourWheel

84720FourWheel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Cars:1984 Nissan 720 4x4

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

Minnesota plates?! Where'd you find a 620?
It's NOT a Toyota!

The leaks are part of the anti-corrosion system.

1984 Nissan 720, 1988 Nissan Pathfinder

#62 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • Cars:77 Datsun 620, 73 Datsun 620

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hidden under a tarp north of Brainerd, up here from New Mexico 10-15 years waiting for a restoration.  If you're ever in the area I'm in Shakopee.  

#63 84720FourWheel

84720FourWheel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

I think we are up to 5 Minnesotans in the truck section of the forum. Neat.

I'll definitely drop you a line if I'm ever up there.

How specific is the production class? Are you beating the record for 70s mini trucks, or is the category more broad?
It's NOT a Toyota!

#64 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:51 AM

All mini trucks newer than 1972.  Our class is capped at 2.015 liter engines.  I'm still anxiously awaiting salt reports as the race may be cancelled on the 22nd if the weather does not cooperate.  

Last night I made some "safety caps" that would prevent the upper control arms from coming apart if the heim joints decided to separate in a spin-out or accident.  

We're still waiting on an engine, but have very little left to do to the truck to finish.  

#65 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

Things are looking grim.  The truck is basically ready, minus a motor.  Engine guy is absent from the planet for a while.  He's failed me on several build days.  We're out of contention for the year.  

The truck has been moved to long term storage.  Its not a good day... :poop:

#66 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,878 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

Booo

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#67 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,421 posts
  • Cars:73 620, 77 620kc, 02 300m, 96 s10

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:53 PM

get him in the eye with a melon baller

Lol you really think he would tell anyone, ahh yes Mr. Peterson I was taken a piss and everything got dark like there was an eclipse, when I look back to see what was making the shade when WHAM!! Cock hit me right in the face. I don't know whose it was but we could match up the bruise.

you assume i have any fucks

#68 84720FourWheel

84720FourWheel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

Sounds flakier than a bowl of wheaties. Perhaps find a new engine guy?
It's NOT a Toyota!

#69 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 70,917 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

Any air strips near by you could use to shake down the truck?

Posted Image

#70 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:40 AM

There's no "shaking-down" with no engine.  Brainerd International Raceway is at our disposal, as well as a very local (6 miles away) chassis dyno.  

I can build the engine, but parts are being held hostage.  I believe he had the intention of building it, just the scheduling prowess of an 8  year old.  I have another builder who can build a motor, but I'm so financially tied into this one, its not feasible anymore this year.   And the latest salt condition report looks great.  Ughhhhhh...  

It would take a string of miracles to dig us out of this one.  

#71 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:25 AM

I feel your pain. Nothing like being held up by someone else. I sit in the car with the kids for ten minutes every time, waiting for the wife...

Seriously though, stick another motor in it and go have a good time. Don't mothball it.

#72 HRH

HRH

Sour Dough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:28 AM

Are you allowed to significantly modify the cylinder head?  Like angle cutting the intake flange to allow for better flow?  Rebello did this some years back, head wasn't legal, etc.  I say get a motor and go do it.  Hell, I'd build you a race motor if I had the time.  Probably wouldn't be as nice as a professional builder, but it would run well.  Enough to get you down the salt and back! ;)  That way you could shake down the truck for any non-motor remaining issues.

#73 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:19 PM

My pistons came from Dave at Rebello.  The head is fair game, but the ports must be "stock configuration: ie: intake and exhaust on the same side, single overhead cam.  We ported the hell out of it, Manley severe duty valves, etc... but its the part being held hostage.  Its not about money, rather time to complete it.  

Today the race was cancelled due to horrible track conditions, so shelling the project for a while was inevitable.  The still hope for the September race, but who knows???  

#74 ownTer

ownTer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cars:76 620

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

How is it that somebody who didnt hold up their end  of the deal. Has the balls to hold parts from you?

None the less I hope the best for problem to be resolved. Good luck!

#75 Ericthenorse

Ericthenorse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cars:'91 Jetta coupe, '89 Ramcharger, '74 620

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

How is it that somebody who didnt hold up their end  of the deal. Has the balls to hold parts from you?

None the less I hope the best for problem to be resolved. Good luck!

Sounded to me like not having the parts ready WAS him not holding up his end.................  As a machinist myself....  For something like having big valves and seats installed in a head, you should plan on that head sitting at the shop for 5-6 months, and then be pleasently surprised when it is done sooner.....   You would be surprised how many projects we have at the shop from people who are in a hurry....     We work on them in the order they come in....  People seem to think that custom work is easy and takes no time at all....    I have no idea why this guy is late, but if he is as good a builder as you say, he probably has quite a waiting list....  Honestly, if you just recently started building the motor, you should have been planning for next year... :)

#76 fastdadd

fastdadd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cars:79 620 kingcab,78 b-210

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

there is always world of speed in september

Dear Sir, I am interested in trading my left testicle for your vehicle. Negotiation may begin immediately. Thanks. Dr

"i think i will buy one of these jap cars...maybe a datsun" lou redwood

projects
http://community.rat...dadd-79-kc-620/

http://community.rat...ect-fast-sunny/

#77 fastdadd

fastdadd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cars:79 620 kingcab,78 b-210

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

did you see that they are running the mojave mile this weekend

Dear Sir, I am interested in trading my left testicle for your vehicle. Negotiation may begin immediately. Thanks. Dr

"i think i will buy one of these jap cars...maybe a datsun" lou redwood

projects
http://community.rat...dadd-79-kc-620/

http://community.rat...ect-fast-sunny/

#78 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:57 AM

We still have no motor.  The engine builder is not only a close friend, I give him shop space (free) to use and I've been doing that for 5 1/2 years.  Full well knowing his typical engine build takes 3 years, he promised he'd get an engine ready for the truck in time for Speed Week this year and failed to come close to the deadline.  He didn't even get a head assembled.  

Its far too expensive to run the Mojave Mile to shake down the truck, and its not long enough to set a record, given how the truck is built and geared.  Besides, we have no engine.  No progress has been made since my last post.  None.  We'll be lucky to make it to the Ohio Mile in May the way things are looking.  Tonight I do an "exit interview" to cap the year with the videographer who is recording the whole process and planning to make a short movie about it, should we ever run the salt.  If any of you want to see his work and get a feel for how the 620 will be shown, check out this link and watch "the draw" on page 1 or "deep custom" on page 3.  

#79 Ericthenorse

Ericthenorse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cars:'91 Jetta coupe, '89 Ramcharger, '74 620

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

Wish I was a little closer....   I could get that motor done for you.... We are kind of slow at my shop right now.. :)

#80 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

What I need is the crank!  I can assemble a motor as well as anyone.  Pretty simple.  Piston guided rods, over bored, destroked, Clearance the pistons .060" from the head, shoot for .080" valve clearance to the pistons.  Deck the block and head as needed on the Blockmaster.  I designed the new cam sitting here, so I can handle degreeing it in.  I just need the crank and to get the head back!!!  It looks like there's no way World of Speed is going to run with only 1 course of 2 1/4 miles available right now.  They'll call it off on September 1st.  

In the mean time I'm tuning my MGB with a custom roller cam in it and a DCOE Weber.  When that's done I'll tune my '50 Willys truck with a Ford flathead - fuel injected with 3-2bbl throttle bodies.  Then I start restoring the '55 Chevy truck and paint the '57 Massey Harris.  I'll be back on the Datsun later this winter.  I need to see if the engine guy is going to pull his head out of that dark hole...