• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#41 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Cars:77 Datsun 620, 73 Datsun 620

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:09 AM

Yes of course, but at 250 hp that would be serious overkill.  A close friend of mine used one in his drag car, and the harmonics made it explode while dyno tuning - right around the 1100 hp mark.  The driveline shop who rebuilt and balanced my driveshaft liked the idea of a solid carrier bearing mount and a 2-piece shaft.  

There is also serious conversation about lightening flywheels versus keeping them heavy/stock, and the general consensus is that it doesn't make any difference in land speed racing, other than flywheels that are even mildly marginal having a greater tendency to explode.  

Yesterday's progress included continuing to assemble the doors, finishing the fire system bottle mount, as well as building the dash panel and installing it with the dash. I also splashed 6 rattle cans of white paint in the interior.  Today I will mount the fuse panel, rollover fuel cutoff switch, and possibly the master cylinder, which will be complicated in that I can't use power brakes with a 15:1 engine that produces no vacuum, and problematic in that the Weber carbs may simply not fit with the booster in place.  

datdash_zpse9kj2caz.jpg

#42 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 65,588 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:03 AM

Agreed. If acceleration were the goal then lightening spinning components would be sensible. Here extreme speed and RPMs are the goal.

Posted Image

#43 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:40 PM

After I thought we'd never get pistons in time, the miracle has happened!  They're already here, but from a different source.  Its all good - they're better than I expected and will do just what we need.  

datpiston_zpsfmtve3bf.jpg

The header flanges should be cut tomorrow.  Apparently the laser operator had a case of the Monday flu from the long weekend.  

Sunday my bud Chuck got one door completely assembled with a Lexan window installed, one waiting for another chunk of Lexan.  We even have a set of NOS blue door cards to install after they are mounted in the truck!!!  Please ignore where some previous owner hacked in speaker holes with a jackhammer!

datdoor_zps5rxgmrka.jpg

And 100% new brake lines have been run throughout.  They're ready to bleed!!!  I'm torn between Castrol GTLMA and Dot5 fluid.  The system is all brand new, so either will work.  Castrol leaves a better pedal feel, DOT5 boils sooner.  

datbrakes_zpsfuszeb52.jpg

And least importantly, the interior received its 2nd coat of white paint, and some "grip" spray on the driver's floor to make it easier to climb in and out with a helmet and Hans device on.  

datwhitecage_zpsni1brxrb.jpg

#44 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 65,588 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:07 AM

Doubt you'll need to worry about boiling the brakes. Wind resistance will slow you enough. Can you use a tonneau cover on the bed?

Posted Image

#45 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:30 AM

Yes we are allowed a flush tonneau cover, or without it we can be tailgate up/down, or off.  Everyone generally runs a cover, open in the front area???  Ours will likely be a fast Home Depot built platform.  That way we can experiment with it, as I think we may be allowed to lower part of it, to help create more rear downforce.  I am also contemplating a "partially down" tailgate in a fixed wing position.  

#46 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:50 AM

Last night I built most of the header.  You won't find this one in any catalog.  Huge primaries, stepped tubes for top end power, designed on a proprietary flow software specifically for designing headers.  

Sorry for the terrible photo - it was another late night in the shop.  They were as close to an equal length header as I could fit in place while using pre-bent mandrel tubing.  Its cool that the primary (smallest) tube size is larger than most Datsun tailpipes!

datheader_zps39vhhsvn.jpg

And more good news - the connecting rods arrived and while they will require a fair amount of work to install, they will offer a few significant advantages.   :thumbup:

#47 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:32 AM

3 more hours of work and the collector is 99% done (trim to fit) and the tubes are TIG'd.  That's a 4" collector, for size reference.  

The rest of the exhaust system will likely be composed of another 8" of pipe, 2 90's, and one 45 degree mandrel bend.  No restriction, to allow for us to reach redline in 4th gear quickly.  Yet, even blowing a small amount of air into the pipe creates a vacuum in the header and helps to extract air from the cylinders!  

dathdr_zpsedrjuvqc.jpg

#48 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:28 AM

Last night started out slow but ended with a HUGE amount of work being done.  The brakes work!  The wiring harness is more than half completed.  The passenger side door is mounted & aligned (mostly), and the rear window is installed.  Supposedly today my engine builder will get the cylinder head either done, or almost done.  The block is also back from machining, just waiting on the crank now!!!

datdoors_zpsap8hevqg.jpg

I didn't check to see if the NOS arm rests that go with the NOS door panels fit around the door bars?  

datwiring_zpsimwzrhdl.jpg

Yes, we're actually required to have a horn!  As silly as that sounds, its part of being in the Production class.  

#49 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,186 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:56 AM

Nice bit of progress :cool: 

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

Picture004-5sml.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#50 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 65,588 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

datdoors_zpsap8hevqg.jpg

I didn't check to see if the NOS arm rests that go with the NOS door panels fit around the door bars?  

Just 'glue' them on where ever they will fit. I imagine the doors are welded shut?

This should be interesting and will answer many questions from members. How easy people think going fast is.... just throw a 5 speed in it, throw a 3.364 rear end in it, lower it, add 50 more hp.

Posted Image

#51 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:53 AM

Its SO much more complicated than that!  For instance, the fuel system will require an electric pump, regulator, mechanical fuel shut-off in the engine bay, electric switch in the cockpit within reach of the driver while wearing arm restraints, and an automatic rollover fuel cut-off switch, which you also want to be within reach of the driver so you can reset it if you get a false trip.  Then the fuel line needs to be shielded (with metal tube) in the proximity of the flywheel.  And there should be a fuel sampling valve installed so the inspectors can verify the type of fuel you are using.  

Nearly every system in the truck is this complicated, despite the truck being designed to run in "Production" class.   Realistically that only limits body modifications to lowering the truck and adding a hood scoop.  In all other respects the truck is designed to run 200+ mph as safely as any Nascar car.  Instead of running a full containment driver's seat, the roll cage is designed to provide the containment, in conjunction with a full driver's door net.  

I've been told SO many times that setting a record on the salt is a virtually unattainable thing these days, mostly because the competition is as insane as I am.  Years of chiseling away at a record to beat it by 1, 2, 3 mph.  At this point, I've been working between 85-90 hours a week for the last 3 months to get the truck done.  I'm tired, and we still don't have a motor.  Despite the amazing work our team has accomplished in an insanely short schedule, Speed Week 2015 may still be a pipe dream, unless we go as spectators, or drag the truck along for a preliminary inspection.  ???  I could get the truck done, but the driver has some personal/scheduling issues to contend with and the motor may not be up to par by then.  

#52 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,186 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

Keep at it, I am enjoying the show :)

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

Picture004-5sml.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#53 fastdadd

fastdadd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Cars:79 620 kingcab,78 b-210,99 sentra

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:30 AM

i am rooting for you...i was going to go watch this year but my traveling partner will be in hawaii so we plan on next year  

Dear Sir, I am interested in trading my left testicle for your vehicle. Negotiation may begin immediately. Thanks. Dr

I_Tried_It_at_Home_vi_6e7fb-1.jpg

"i think i will buy one of these jap cars...maybe a datsun" lou redwood

projects
http://community.rat...dadd-79-kc-620/

http://community.rat...ect-fast-sunny/

#54 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:42 AM

Well, there's one more step to the fuel system.  The output fuel line is sized too small to allow enough fuel without overheating an aftermarket fuel pump.  Now I need to remove the tank (again) and drill a new hole in the top, insert a 3/8" OD fuel line, and epoxy it back into place with a fuel resistance 2-part tank repair epoxy.  

As for the arm rests on the doors, I could drill new holes and move them to a different position, since the door panels holes are not punched out.  Then again, the full door net will make closing the door impossible for the driver anyway, so why bother?  

Very little progress except for installing the RF fender and making a relay mounting panel for behind the glovebox door.  I've reached a point where working on the truck isn't fun and exciting anymore.  Almost as bad as when I was working on bodywork.   :poop:

#55 abbylind

abbylind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Cars:77 620

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:52 PM

If I grabbed 2000 people at random and asked them if they were building a land speed record vehicle....I think I could safely say none would say yes.  You are doing something unique...dont give it up... :thumbup:

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

#56 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Cars:73 620, 77 620kc, 02 300m, 96 s10

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:24 PM

If I grabbed 2000 people at random and asked them if they were building a land speed record vehicle....I think I could safely say none would say yes.  You are doing something unique...dont give it up... :thumbup:

+1

Lol you really think he would tell anyone, ahh yes Mr. Peterson I was taken a piss and everything got dark like there was an eclipse, when I look back to see what was making the shade when WHAM!! Cock hit me right in the face. I don't know whose it was but we could match up the bruise.

you assume i have any fucks

#57 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:10 AM

The event may actually be canceled 2 years in a row?

http://www.sltrib.co...in-danger-again

I do something unique every day.  I rebuild distributors for classic cars and tune them to run well on modern fuel.   :thumbup:

In my spare time I have a hops farm...   I think its safe to say we're all a bit eclectic!

#58 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:42 AM

Last night the engine builder showed up and is planning on having the head done by the weekend.  We will have enough parts to assemble a decent motor, one the crank is done.  

#59 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:54 AM

Slow progress this week.  Just playing with a cowl induction hood scoop and aerodynamics.  Lifting it about 5" in the back should help reduce the windshield drag considerably.  Tonight we have the pleasure of texting the photos to a former Formula 1 aerodynamics engineer to get feedback.  He will inform us how to not screw it up.   :frantics: datscoop_zpsuezaztbp.jpg

#60 sebpv

sebpv

• PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Cars:1973 Datsun 620 M/T std cab

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:08 AM

How about deleting the cowl and incorporating a "trunk wing" to deflect the wind?

EDIT: Better yet, just buy this:
00A081E9-1A4E-4CA4-9E88-A6DD2B3E2163_zps
Blame my french side if you don't understand