620 Land Speed Record

distributorguy

Its SO much more complicated than that!  For instance, the fuel system will require an electric pump, regulator, mechanical fuel shut-off in the engine bay, electric switch in the cockpit within reach of the driver while wearing arm restraints, and an automatic rollover fuel cut-off switch, which you also want to be within reach of the driver so you can reset it if you get a false trip.  Then the fuel line needs to be shielded (with metal tube) in the proximity of the flywheel.  And there should be a fuel sampling valve installed so the inspectors can verify the type of fuel you are using.  

Nearly every system in the truck is this complicated, despite the truck being designed to run in "Production" class.   Realistically that only limits body modifications to lowering the truck and adding a hood scoop.  In all other respects the truck is designed to run 200+ mph as safely as any Nascar car.  Instead of running a full containment driver's seat, the roll cage is designed to provide the containment, in conjunction with a full driver's door net.  

I've been told SO many times that setting a record on the salt is a virtually unattainable thing these days, mostly because the competition is as insane as I am.  Years of chiseling away at a record to beat it by 1, 2, 3 mph.  At this point, I've been working between 85-90 hours a week for the last 3 months to get the truck done.  I'm tired, and we still don't have a motor.  Despite the amazing work our team has accomplished in an insanely short schedule, Speed Week 2015 may still be a pipe dream, unless we go as spectators, or drag the truck along for a preliminary inspection.  ???  I could get the truck done, but the driver has some personal/scheduling issues to contend with and the motor may not be up to par by then.  

• Like 2
  • Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there's one more step to the fuel system.  The output fuel line is sized too small to allow enough fuel without overheating an aftermarket fuel pump.  Now I need to remove the tank (again) and drill a new hole in the top, insert a 3/8" OD fuel line, and epoxy it back into place with a fuel resistance 2-part tank repair epoxy.  

As for the arm rests on the doors, I could drill new holes and move them to a different position, since the door panels holes are not punched out.  Then again, the full door net will make closing the door impossible for the driver anyway, so why bother?  

Very little progress except for installing the RF fender and making a relay mounting panel for behind the glovebox door.  I've reached a point where working on the truck isn't fun and exciting anymore.  Almost as bad as when I was working on bodywork.   :poop:

The event may actually be canceled 2 years in a row?

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2709833-155/speed-week-is-in-danger-again

I do something unique every day.  I rebuild distributors for classic cars and tune them to run well on modern fuel.   :thumbup:

In my spare time I have a hops farm...   I think its safe to say we're all a bit eclectic!

Slow progress this week.  Just playing with a cowl induction hood scoop and aerodynamics.  Lifting it about 5" in the back should help reduce the windshield drag considerably.  Tonight we have the pleasure of texting the photos to a former Formula 1 aerodynamics engineer to get feedback.  He will inform us how to not screw it up.   :frantics: datscoop_zpsuezaztbp.jpg

• Like 2

All mini trucks newer than 1972.  Our class is capped at 2.015 liter engines.  I'm still anxiously awaiting salt reports as the race may be cancelled on the 22nd if the weather does not cooperate.  

Last night I made some "safety caps" that would prevent the upper control arms from coming apart if the heim joints decided to separate in a spin-out or accident.  

We're still waiting on an engine, but have very little left to do to the truck to finish.  

• Like 1

Things are looking grim.  The truck is basically ready, minus a motor.  Engine guy is absent from the planet for a while.  He's failed me on several build days.  We're out of contention for the year.  

The truck has been moved to long term storage.  Its not a good day... :poop:

There's no "shaking-down" with no engine.  Brainerd International Raceway is at our disposal, as well as a very local (6 miles away) chassis dyno.  

I can build the engine, but parts are being held hostage.  I believe he had the intention of building it, just the scheduling prowess of an 8  year old.  I have another builder who can build a motor, but I'm so financially tied into this one, its not feasible anymore this year.   And the latest salt condition report looks great.  Ughhhhhh...  

It would take a string of miracles to dig us out of this one.  

• Like 1

Are you allowed to significantly modify the cylinder head?  Like angle cutting the intake flange to allow for better flow?  Rebello did this some years back, head wasn't legal, etc.  I say get a motor and go do it.  Hell, I'd build you a race motor if I had the time.  Probably wouldn't be as nice as a professional builder, but it would run well.  Enough to get you down the salt and back! ;)  That way you could shake down the truck for any non-motor remaining issues.

My pistons came from Dave at Rebello.  The head is fair game, but the ports must be "stock configuration: ie: intake and exhaust on the same side, single overhead cam.  We ported the hell out of it, Manley severe duty valves, etc... but its the part being held hostage.  Its not about money, rather time to complete it.  

Today the race was cancelled due to horrible track conditions, so shelling the project for a while was inevitable.  The still hope for the September race, but who knows???  

• Like 1

How is it that somebody who didnt hold up their end  of the deal. Has the balls to hold parts from you?

None the less I hope the best for problem to be resolved. Good luck!

Sounded to me like not having the parts ready WAS him not holding up his end.................  As a machinist myself....  For something like having big valves and seats installed in a head, you should plan on that head sitting at the shop for 5-6 months, and then be pleasently surprised when it is done sooner.....   You would be surprised how many projects we have at the shop from people who are in a hurry....     We work on them in the order they come in....  People seem to think that custom work is easy and takes no time at all....    I have no idea why this guy is late, but if he is as good a builder as you say, he probably has quite a waiting list....  Honestly, if you just recently started building the motor, you should have been planning for next year... :)