• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

#321 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Cars:77 Datsun 620, 73 Datsun 620

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:04 AM

Those are new guides.   They will stay short.  Dangerous I know, but worth the risk.  It improved flow by 12 cfm, bringing the intake ports to 236 cfm at .550.  Valves are Manley extreme duty.  The head has to survive a couple dozen 3 miles runs at .550" lift measured at the valves.  By the time we finish each run, the engine will be at full operating temps.   Is there a DIY ceramic coating available?  MN isn't a hotbed for these surface treatments, although our crank is Teflon coated to prevent oil wicking. 

#322 G-Duax

G-Duax

prickly in San Antonio

• PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Cars:73 620 & 90 Toyota Cressida

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

Yes, Tech-Line coatings, and Cerakote both make make high grade heat barriers, and moly coat.

Parts need to be abrasive blasted (not glass beaded), degreased, de-gassed (pre heating in oven).

Then are sprayed with a cheap hobby air brushed, let set up, and then baked.

I've been using the Cerakote gold cote on my piston domes, and ports, valves, and combustion chambers I've been doing with Tech-Line CBX.

http://www.techlinec....com/index.html

http://www.techlinec....com/index.html

I once did a set of valves with CBX, and upon assembly, fumble-fingered one, and bounced it off the garage floor.

Though 'oh s#it', thinking it would have chipped, but nope, valve was just fine.

It's important to use clean blast media, because the stuff will pick up oil from dirty parts, and transfer it to the part.

But I follow the 'better safe, than have flaking coatings', and have plenty of clean acetone to give last minute rinses.

Here is the gold-cote on my pistons, and moly skirts:

DSC07900.jpg

DSC07932.jpg

Valves that went into my Cressida:

DSC02957.jpg

I did just the face of the intakes to help keep them, and incoming charge cool,

but the exhaust got both sides done.

#323 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 65,184 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

Would a kitchen stove work for this????

Posted Image

#324 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

Cool but I just went to their website and their store is NOT secure.  I'll have to call in an order tomorrow.  

I'd suspect a standard oven would work great, especially since it only needs 300 degrees.  Easy peasy, as long as you get it done before the wife gets home.  Harbor Freight sells an airbrush for $15 that'll do a nice job.  

This is great timing, since I need to order all new grinding stones to finish off the final "tune" of my valve job.  

#325 G-Duax

G-Duax

prickly in San Antonio

• PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

Easy peasy, as long as you get it done before the wife gets home.

I can't describe the look on my late wife's face, when she come home, opened our dish washer, and found it full of 2-stroke engine parts.

But they were clean :)

#326 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:47 PM

G-DUAX, thanks for the tip on Techline.  Today they gave me a huge sponsorship deal for the race truck!  I get to try almost all of their products, so it looks like I'll likely be pulling the short block back apart to coat more parts than I thought!  

#327 G-Duax

G-Duax

prickly in San Antonio

• PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted Today, 10:33 AM

I've even moly coated bearing inserts, cam tower journals, timing sprockets, valve guide bores, and the complete internals of oil pumps.

Nice thing about pistons, being moly coated, once you wear through the coating, just re-coat :-)

#328 Crashtd420

Crashtd420

• PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Cars:1972 Datsun 521

Posted Today, 10:57 AM

G-daux does that process/coating mess with any engine tolerances on the parts your coating?