620 Land Speed Record

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#241 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

HKS used to make the composite steel head gaskets. Don't know if they still do. There is another company that makes them, but I can't think of their name right now. The cool thing about them is that they are reusable and rebuildable, and even adjustable by adding or removing shims to raise or lower the compression ratio.

If you can't find one, I would just o-ring the block and bring to the track a few OEM Nissan gaskets. Even the GT motors still use OEM gaskets.

Hopefully you're not going to use head studs though as they make head R&R a pain in the ass.

#242 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Cars:77 Datsun 620, 73 Datsun 620

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

I am using ARP head studs and a Nismo gasket.  ARP nuts are eaier than stock bolts, and we need more strength.  Over 15:1 compression, naturally aspirated.  Its not likely to see even 50 miles between engine rebuilds.  It'll be ok.  Once the motor is certified (if we back-up a record run), and if we fail the whistle test, then we pull the head.  No big deal.  4 hood pins, so that's not in the way, big pop-up tent to work under on the salt.  

Guys, when you offer advice, keep in mind this is Bonneville.  Relaxed pace, almost never full throttle to modulate tire slippage, very high compression, never touch the brakes, light load top speed racing with soft shifts.  Durability is only for RPM, not load until peak speed, then the load is wind not traction.  Its boat racing with wheels and salt and even less traction.  Nothing about it is similar to track racing.  

#243 Profile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cars:510 Datsun

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

It's drag racing on a 5 mile dirt/salt track.

#244 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:20 AM

I guess using studs is the price you pay for such a high CR.

I freakin hate em.

#245 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Cars:77 Datsun 620, 73 Datsun 620

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

I've installed SO many sets...  I like 'em.  Once you figure out how to NOT drop and lose washers and nuts it just becomes a way of life.  

Drag racing WOULD be like Bonneville if you needed a 3-4 TON car weight to have enough traction to achieve 200 mph.  That weight also has to be perfectly balanced to avoid spinning out.  Grease the track, then compare drag racing to racing on salt.   :thumbup: