620 Land Speed Record

distributorguy

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I get older, shit gets purged from my brain. I used to be able to look at any thread and just know what it was, now I can't. Those digital calipers save my ass.

Funny, I can remember the part number of the fog lights I bought for my '91 Taurus SHO, back in 1996, but I can't remember the order of the standard wrenches in my tool box.

• Like 3

Yep exactly - I can remember the proper distributor advance curve for any vehicle I've ever set up.  I can even remember the distributor casting numbers for most any British car.  I can remember the torque specs when assembling a SBC.   But I can't measure a fitting, walk less than 20' to my computer and remember what those numbers were.  

My Snap-On guy gets SO frustrated that I don't typically buy metric tools from him, other than the one adjustable wrench...

As for the truck, we have an issue with tire clearance at the front fenders, so for now, instead of radiusing the openings (legal) I reinstalled the non-drop spindles and rebuilt the old style brake calipers and got most everything re-installed.  I still need to install the calipers and bleed brakes.  It still sits low, but not AS low.  Might be an issue, might not.  If anyone knows how to make this work better at a pavement scraping drop, and 25" tires, please speak up!

Next will be to find a battery voltage drop (almost 2V) when the main dash power is turned on with nothing running.  Then weld in the door net fittings on the INSIDE of the cage (oops), and install the windshield so we can DRIVE.  

Last night we found the perfect setting for the front suspension height.  No rubbing, unless we hit a hard bump while turning a sharp corner (no corners on the salt flats.)

Then we modified a rear roll cage support and gained 4+" of leg room for the driver.  

Then we re-mounted the custom door net properly on the inside of the cage, oops.  Today its supposed to be 40 degrees outside, so some tuning will finally happen!!!

• Like 1

Great throttle response, and the truck barely warmed up - until it blew a coil.  I quick put a new one in (several on the shelf) and the thermostat stuck shut.   That made the engine boil over in about 3 seconds after reaching operating temp (watched the gauge as it happened), then the stat popped open and I blew a second coil.  Temp dropped down to 180 just before the engine stalled again.   :poop:  :poop:  :poop:

The CD ignition doesn't seem to be working, so I'll bypass it and see if that keeps the coils from shorting out?  Its THAT kind of afternoon, so I think I'll walk away before I blow the motor and burn down my shop.  I can't drink and drive tonight because my 9 yr old F250 stopped running today - cold turkey out of the blue.   :poke:

• Like 2

Progress!!!

The CD box is out, for now.  

The dowel pin in the front of the cam walked out into the gear, allowing the timing gear to spin on the cam.  WTF???  No damaged, luckily.  Reset the gear and its running again.   Glad this was the spare motor!  Why is the dowel pin so short???  It won't be on the race motor!!!

Played with needles on the SUs.  Got the fuel mixture in the 12's across the board using #7 needles.  They're a little lean on top and a little rich on the bottom, but overall close enough for what this engine will have to endure.  

Then I jumped in the truck and drove it up the driveway on its maiden voyage!  Only about 100 yards and back, but its got some hardcore snort!  Once I get Photobucket to play along, I'll post a couple new pics.

I can't wait to put this "leftover engine" into a street truck!!!

• Like 1

Calling out for anyone who might have an H190 4.11 diff or gear set on the shelf or in a spare rear end???

Both potential people I could have gotten one from have come up empty handed and we need this gear set for the truck.  

I tried asking in the classifieds and came up to a global call-out here.  There is nothing in any salvage yard within 150 miles of here.  

• 3 weeks later...

We tied up a few more loose ends on the truck, but nothing worthy of photos.  Seat braces, filler pieces in the door opening next to the door net, etc...  The windshield is finally installed and ready to be shipped out for an alignment.  Then its track ready!  In the mean time, the engine build will get back on the bench.  Time to finish porting the head, and time to get the hood/scoop painted!

• Like 1

With the help of Yenpit, I found a 4.11 diff out of a 50k mile 720 hidden away at an old friend's shop in CO.  Yay!!!  Yet another step in the right direction!

There will be pics SOON.  Time to get the head back on the bench and get it done.  Its super difficult to photograph shiny ports, but I'll try.  In the mean time, here's our driver sitting in the truck, pic stolen off Instagram.  He's about 6'2" tall if I'm not mistaken, and looks like he's sitting in a lowrider.  

[/url]">http://http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/distributorguy/media/Datsun%20project/252404EC-9E96-4FFC-A85B-C3C8EC1A2464_zpssm10yxqc.png.html'>252404EC-9E96-4FFC-A85B-C3C8EC1A2464_zps

• Like 1