Loud noise, now car pulls to the right while braking.

Hello all, before I get started, I searched for my problem and didn't see anything, if I did miss it I apologize.

So I was on my way to work this morning, and I went to take the exit, (freeway is under construction) and where I got off the road is about 2in below the rest of the road. Once I hit that junction, I hear a loud noise and something hit the under side of the car. After that I hit the brakes, and it pulled hard to the right, and I get this wobble in the wheel and the wobble feels like it's also in the driver side rotor.

Once I got to work I could only give it a quick glance because I had to be in the bay area by 9. From what I could see, nothing looked out of place. With that said I wasn't able to see the inner pads on the calipers. The brake master cylinder still has fluid.

Since I'm not with the car right now, what I was hoping for is some suggestions as where to start looking because this is my daily driver and I can't take my wife's car and she can't get up early enough to drop me off at the office. Any advice would be very appreciated and agian I'm sorry if this topic has already been posted.

69 510

280zx front struts and calipers

280zx master

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the right side tension rod. As the name implies it's a rod anchored at the front right side under the rad and connects to the outer part of the lower right control arm. This forms a strong supportive triangle that prevents the lower control arm from moving to the rear when the brakes are applied. Without the tension rod, the LCA is unsupported. When the brakes are applied it naturally wants to pull to the rear throwing the steering toe out.

Use extreme caution if driving like this. If broken, better to fix before driving. Using poly tension rod mount bushings can cause this near disaster because they are not nearly as compliant, unlike rubber. This forces the tension rod to flex as it follows the up and down movement of the LCA causing metal fatigue..

I found the problem, the strut rod snapped right at the start of the threads.

So to be clear, it's the strut and not the tension rod?

If the strut, how the hell does it fail???? It's like 3/4" thick!! Can't see how it would pull to the right either.

The tension rod on the other has has to have compliant bushings to allow up and down movement of the control arm. Polly doesn't allow much movement and the rod must bend, leading to metal fatigue.

So to be clear, it's the strut and not the tension rod?

If the strut, how the hell does it fail???? It's like 3/4" thick!! Can't see how it would pull to the right either.

The tension rod on the other has has to have compliant bushings to allow up and down movement of the control arm. Polly doesn't allow much movement and the rod must bend, leading to metal fatigue.

Strut rod is another name for the T/C rod.

• Like 1

Yes but the combination of poly bushings on a tension rod... just a matter of time. Here is one way to force some compliance into the overly stiff poly tension rod bushings...

my TC rod bushings coming back from the machine shop. they were modified as per the DQ issue

PICT0006-1.jpg

old ones, pretty nasty, huh?

PICT0008-1.jpg

old vs new

PICT0010-1.jpg

new ones going in

PICT0011-1.jpg

beautiful

PICT0013.jpg

Myself, I would never run poly on anything. It's a race car innovation that doesn't work on a street car. On a race car things like this are maintained, inspected regularly and or replaced. A street car? Forget it. People install this stuff and think they can just forget about it. New rubber is the best all round thing for this.

• Like 2