Stay tuned. things are underway.....

mswit209

so i picked up my donor vehicle the other day and will be starting my awd subaru conversion here soon. first things first there will be lots of measurements to take. i will try to take as many pictures as possible on this as i am very bad at things like that. this will be be a huge under taking as i am sure most of you are aware. so it wont be anytime soon. but it will get finished, i dont give up on my projects i see them through. and i do them as econamically as possible. i found my donor vehicle for 200 bucks a 2000 forester.   i will get a pictures of a before shot of both. and when i do get started on the actual work i will do as someone suggested on here i will take a picture when i get to the shop and when i leave.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a bunch of research and planning on the same swap, except with an ej20. After tons of measuring, i figured out that in order to run AWD, you have to jam the engine wayy forward, and run a bed mount radiator. But you might be able to fit one up front if you stay natrually aspirated. If i remember correctly, the shifter will be set back too far as well, unless you run some kind of remote shift setup.
The height of the engine shouldnt be an issue, but to get ideal cv angle(if running awd), you may need to notch the frame, and just pull the engine to change valve cover gaskets lol. The frame clearance gets especialy tight with a dual cam.

All said and done, the front cv angle is still not optimal. Even with the engine pushed forward as far as possible, the cvs are still angled towards the front of the car. Which will most likely lead to binding axles, or at the very least they will be operating at their weakest point. And the suspension is wide enough to warrant some flares, or wheels with tons of positive offset.

Anything is possible, if you have the fabrication experience, or money, lots of it :lol:. I think it would be cool to see this swap completed, even if you cant run awd. I still have a few pictures that may be of use. Any pics of the truck you plan on swapping?

-Jack

vJU1ORh.jpg

OoBO9NH.jpg

nbpj3k3.jpg

2jNSebp.jpg

I was planning on running the radiator under the bed, similar to this, with some cool duct work. But i hated the idea of not being able to use the truck as a truck.
zdRgEmf.jpg

• Like 1

The cv axles on a subaru are pitched forward already to begin with so if you were trying to make them straight then yes you have to run a bed mount radiator. I'm running a single cam as I like them better. And I have the fab skills the welders both might and tig. An end mill a lathe a plasma. I'm pretty well equipped in the tool dept. And I also have a gang of friends and a mechanical engineer as a brother.

• Like 1

20150623_204043_zpsjrzxqfts.jpg

20150623_204053_zpssjnsioho.jpg

20150623_204106_zps8g9oddej.jpg

20150623_204117_zpsdwiq86mb.jpg

did some searching around and found that cv axles can continue to transfer power up to 54 degrees of angle. although that definitly not optimal under normal driving circumstances. the axles can be at a constant of up to 20 degrees without any negative effect so thats a plus as far as engine placement goes. didnt do to much as far a s preparations today. so one small item out of the forester. and if anyone wants a literally brand new weber 32/36 with electric choke for 60 bucks let me know. with intake and air filter that hasnt even been used yet. besides the intake. i paid over 200 for the carb and filter. got lots of parts that could go to a good home. everything would go super cheap. so if anyone needs anything let me know and i will tell you if i can part with it. 

• Like 2

i am editing this post for anyone who read what was ther prior because i have been doing some serious thinking. i know you may not care or some may think this is an excuse but it is not. it is more of a realization. for the past 4 months i have been dealing with seizures. i have never had one in my life. doctors have not been able to figure anything out. they have all been in my sleep except for one. and just last week i had my forth seizure. i have decided as much as i hate to admit it. i must take a step back from the project world and focus on my health. i know i overpaid for my truck at 1800 and i am not looking to get that out of it. i would be happy with 1000 it has an aftermarket aluminum radiator that is for the l motor. i have not start any tear down infact it still has the brand new throttle cable on it that i bought. has a bunch of parts in the bed and cab. i would like her to go to a good home. even if its to be parted out fo another truck. the bed is straight as well as the cab. floor is gon in the cab as expected. everything you need to get the engine running it there including carbs. and a whole brand new engine gasket set. it does need main bearings. i will be posting this in the classified section. i hate abandoning a project but i know when i need to. and its for my health. price is or best offer.

• 2 weeks later...

So update on things still have no clue what's going on with me. My fam and gf are pushing to to continue with the project. And considering the lack of interest in the truck I may just hang on to it. And do it at some point. I had to meet with dmv office of traffic safety because of my siezures. I have no idea what their response will be wether they are going to take my license for a while or not. Doctors are un helpful in answering any questions I may have.