1974 620 l18 first start help!

So I'm sure memebers will recognize my truck as it was Nash Rice truck that he sold to me. 1974 620 underslung and cantilever. So,I have ran the harness and have 95% connected. I have been following my Haynes manual as far as the wiring diagram. So this is a first for me as far as putting a harness in and trying to start the motor. My concern comes down to wiring for starter, alternator and the coil. I've confused myself all weekend,and now know I need to ask for help. I do not have a transistor for the coil yet. Im primarily confused on the white/red wire connected at a Y to the black wire leading to a fusible link. Next is a group of around four black wires reduced down to on black wire. Im new to this forum and it's operation. I have a couple pictures I could share now, but will have to update later as im at work.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is a transistor for the coil.

There is a ballast resistor for the coil. This lowers the running voltage to the coil and points to prevent over heating and burning out. During start this is by-passed for higher spark voltage while cranking. When the key is released the current is re-directed through the ballast.

Yes you're correct it's a ballast resistor I need. I'm working on having someone check my wiring as I can't figure how to upload an image on this forum. Thank you for correcting me,I knew something attached to the coil.