Electrical Issue, imagine that.

Osoi

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you remember the problem I was having was that it would drive fine down the block for about 3-5 min, and then just die. But if I waited for 3-5 min, it fired right back up, and would drive for another 1-2 min, die, wait 5 min, then fire right back up.

So I guess my question is, that doesn't seem like electrical does it? I mean, it almost seems fuel related but I checked through the window on the Carb is it's raised up with gas just fine.

It boggles the mind.

To run, you need spark and fuel. Next time it quits, pull a plug wire off and stick an old plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface. Is there spark?

If NO then it's likely the points or the coil.

Not saying to replace the coil, but check the continuity with a meter while it is still hot. Coils can heat up and disconnect internally until they cool down.

If the points are clean and properly gaped, about 0.22" or the double thickness of a paper match book cover, then suspect the capacitor. Just disconnect and try to start it without it. If it runs without and won't with it, replace it. 

So, here's the quick drive around the block update. Took carl for a spin. Died right about where he died before. Jumped out popped the hood, and checked two things. Battery 12.8. Charging. Check. Looked at the carb. Empty.

Folks, I think we have a fuel delivery issue. Going to check fuel pump pressure, and fuel lines from the tank. Thanks! I'll keep ya posted. 

Replace the filter. Cut the old one open and examine. If full of rust and debris expect to replace it regularly.

Might be worth emptying and removing tank. Loosen and remove the sender, save and clean or replace the O ring with petroleum resistant one. Rinse out. What I did was throw a couple of double handfuls of clean driveway gravel in and shake it about and roll on the lawn. Dump out and rinse with garden hose. This will loosen any loose rust so it can be flushed. Air dry in the hot sun for the afternoon and re-instal. 

Replace the filter. Cut the old one open and examine. If full of rust and debris expect to replace it regularly.

Might be worth emptying and removing tank. Loosen and remove the sender, save and clean or replace the O ring with petroleum resistant one. Rinse out. What I did was throw a couple of double handfuls of clean driveway gravel in and shake it about and roll on the lawn. Dump out and rinse with garden hose. This will loosen any loose rust so it can be flushed. Air dry in the hot sun for the afternoon and re-instal. 

So more disclosure on what the previous owner did. New fuel filter. Clean, flush, and coat fuel tank. The lack of fuel in the carb after like 5 min makes me think one of two things. Either there's a clogged line somewhere that's not letting fuel into the system as fast as the pump is requesting it, or the fuel pump for some reason isn't pumping fuel into the system as fast as the carb needs to continue combustion. 

Question, what is, and where is "the sender"

Carb float may be badly set also.

Disconnect the pump outlet and direct into a suitable container. Pull the coil wire off so it can't start and have someone crank the engine over. If working you should get a strong repeated surge of fuel into the container.

After testing the fuel pump pressure, which was perfect, I decided to take Carl around the block just for shits to get a photo of the empty carb to post. Much to my surprise, he ran without fail. I get home scratch my head and decided to take him out again. Another perfect run. So I decided to go a little further. Headed to a friends several mile away, perfect! The only thing I can ascertain is that something in the carb was either stuck, or a jet was clogged. Either way, he lives! Thank you all for your help. Get ready for future build posts. He's getting a full resto soon!

So, traced the final problem to a corroding gas tank. I posted another thread, but I'll throw the question here just to cover my bases. Does anyone know of the bolt pattern on a 720 pick up gas tank fits the 521? Or at least can be slightly fabricated? Cause this would be a screaming deal. http://www.autozone.com/1/categories/datsun-720-truck-fuel-tanks

Anything can be made to fit but unlikely the 720 would be willing to just drop in. Install the 720 tank backwards so the filler pipe is on the driver's side. Be sure to get a regular cab short wheelbase 2wd. tank, they are the smallest/shortest at 13 US gallons. (yours is 11 gal.)