im a little ticked off.

mswit209

okay so I finally got around to tearing down my engine. (started having severe medical issues so things were put on hold.) I started taking off the front cover. I get to the main pulley bolt, break it free and take it out. when I go to pull on the main pulley to take it off I get a "CLUNK". and I just stopped. and my stomach sank. I get the pulley off and cover off, thread the bolt back in a bit and then push back in. "CLUNK" the crank has about 1/16th of end play! I mean come on that engine is toast. so now im in a bind. either tear it out and apart and do it right. find a cheapy used engine and hope they are honest people. or just buckle down and do my swap. nothing gets me more upset than someone selling crap and lying about it. what's even worse is the p.o. tried to fix things and everything he did was garbage work. and that's putting it nicely.

im looking through the classified. but if anyone has an engine for sale please let me know l16-l20 don't really care. don't care what kind of head is on it or what is in it. just want the truck to move under its own power for about a year.

• Like 1
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i through the word toast around because im pretty particular about things. i guess you could say it just needs to be completely gone through. (basically more money than i wanted to put into the l16).  i live in the east bay Hayward to be exact.

• Like 1

if its that little of play, id have to say you just need to do a standard rebuild with a new set of bearings. 

sounds like it had too many clutch dumps and needs new thrust bearings.. its part of one of the main bearings

i just rebuilt my carbed KA, and it was 230 for the rebuild kit. 

the crank and block checked out close enough to stock spec, and back together it went. just took it on a 900 mile trip.. 

• Like 3

if its that little of play, id have to say you just need to do a standard rebuild with a new set of bearings. 

sound like it had too many clutch dumps and needs and new thrust bearings.. its part of one of the main bearings

i just rebuilt my carbed KA, and it was 230 for the rebuild kit. 

the crank and block checked out close enough to stock spec, and back together it went. just took it on a 900 mile trip.. 

im well aware of the thrust bearings. just went back and measured it and its more like 1/8th of play. i know these motors are cheap to rebuild and i could do it in a day in and out. just didnt want to do it. thats all. i know it would probably be okay if i put new bearings in it just frustrating.

• Like 1

im well aware of the thrust bearings. just went back and measured it and its more like 1/8th of play. i know these motors are cheap to rebuild and i could do it in a day in and out. just didnt want to do it. thats all. i know it would probably be okay if i put new bearings in it just frustrating.

I think your frustrated cause i wanna drive it now! Lol

I have had several datsuns , i spend 90% of the time wrenching on them, 10% driving. .......it takes a while, like a year to get used to (if its ur first datsun) after that its fun to wrench and u hope for something to break........ot maybe thats just me

• Like 2

I think your frustrated cause i wanna drive it now! Lol

I have had several datsuns , i spend 90% of the time wrenching on them, 10% driving. .......it takes a while, like a year to get used to (if its ur first datsun) after that its fun to wrench and u hope for something to break........ot maybe thats just me

def not my first datun. i do want to be able to drive it. but im more interested in getting started on my conversion. im a mechanic by trade im a senior tech at toyota for thier used cars. so i def get my time wrenching. i enjoy it and it calms me down. but seeing poor work aggravates me. like when i see things light someone splitting an extension cord to run an autozone switch for the headlights. im spending enough on my 67 gto this is more of just a parts getter for now.

• Like 2

def not going to have a ka or sr in it haha. it will however have something from fuji heavy industries in it. and the goat is going nowhere found that baby with 60 k on it original and only 5 years on the road in its life. perfect interior. def not letting that baby go.

• Like 1

def not going to have a ka or sr in it haha. it will however have something from fuji heavy industries in it. and the goat is going nowhere found that baby with 60 k on it original and only 5 years on the road in its life. perfect interior. def not letting that baby go.

Are you doing an AWD 521?

• Like 1

since you all guessed it yes that is the plan. ive wanted to do this swap for a while. first wanted to do it in a 510. but new a 521 would be easier because i could work off a bare frame. i have taken rough measurements and it is completely doable. you would be surprised at how short it is front the front of a subaru engine to the the center of the front axle line. i may have to move the center line a bit but. that is maybe an inch or less.

• Like 3

If you do it, finish it.

oh i will dont worry about that. my biggest struggle is honestly documenting it. i have a hard time stopping to take pictures thats why i want to do the gopro time lapse approach. figure that would be easier. its a turn on record and forget. i did a lot of work on my 510 that was not documented on my build thread that i wish would have been. maybe its because its second nature for me to just get it done since its what i do all day at work. 

• Like 1

Go with the gopro idea, that would be cool to watch. You should at least post up a before picture so we can see what you're working with and what you'll be using for the swap, since we know the plan.

This was an idea in the back of my mind, stored away for when I'm older and hopefully have the means. But I'm stoked to see one come together!

• Like 2

Yeah I will I'm trying to get a lead on a donor vehicle right now. Im not using a turn ej since a well built na is a beast. I built a na ej25 awhile back in a gc8 I had and I sheared my second gear on a 0-60 launch. I'm planning on using a forester since they have a stronger suspension more suitable for a truck

• Like 3

okay so I finally got around to tearing down my engine. (started having severe medical issues so things were put on hold.) I started taking off the front cover. I get to the main pulley bolt, break it free and take it out. when I go to pull on the main pulley to take it off I get a "CLUNK". and I just stopped. and my stomach sank. I get the pulley off and cover off, thread the bolt back in a bit and then push back in. "CLUNK" the crank has about 1/16th of end play! I mean come on that engine is toast. so now im in a bind. either tear it out and apart and do it right. find a cheapy used engine and hope they are honest people. or just buckle down and do my swap. nothing gets me more upset than someone selling crap and lying about it. what's even worse is the p.o. tried to fix things and everything he did was garbage work. and that's putting it nicely.

im looking through the classified. but if anyone has an engine for sale please let me know l16-l20 don't really care. don't care what kind of head is on it or what is in it. just want the truck to move under its own power for about a year.

What does a set of main bearings and a pan gasket cost? You already have it out, obviously, so don't use this as an excuse for a swap. Throw rod bearings on it too. Unless a real oil burner this will last a year.

• Like 1

Wasn't an excuse for a swap. The whole goal was to swap it eventually. And I may still throw a set of mains in it to get it to run for a bit. But the swap was inevitable. Speaking of I picked up a diner subaru tonight that runs just bad head gaskets for 20 bucks a 2000 forester manual.

• Like 2