DATSUN 620 CHINOOK

MIKEYFTW

Anybody know a shop or someone in the LA area that could do a clean KA swap in my truck for me?

try hosestop on here 

I think he has a shop but not sure what all he does 

• Like 2
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Just finished swapping a ka24e with 240sx tranny in my 620 chinook. After the exhaust is done tomorrow it will be ready to hit the streets this sunday. Quick important question... I've searched and my brain still hasn't deciphered... What do I need in order to make my speedometer work?!?!

painted engine bay same color as orange stripe 

28484954223_1dda553719_z.jpg

• Like 6

Just finished swapping a ka24e with 240sx tranny in my 620 chinook. After the exhaust is done tomorrow it will be ready to hit the streets this sunday. Quick important question... I've searched and my brain still hasn't deciphered... What do I need in order to make my speedometer work?!?!

The S13/14 used an electric speed sensor in the transmission. Get the regular mechanical drive from a '86.5 '93? D21. The gearing will likely be for the wrong tire and differential ratio.

You have a '78 so 4.375 gearing in the back so it should have a 20 tooth speedo pinion in the transmission. The very early 2wd VG powered D21 had them, well some did. You will need to look through a lot to find the one you want. A 20 tooth should be a RED plastic gear. No guarantees, but this will get you close.

• Like 4

The S13/14 used an electric speed sensor in the transmission. Get the regular mechanical drive from a '86.5 '93? D21. The gearing will likely be for the wrong tire and differential ratio.

You have a '78 so 4.375 gearing in the back so it should have a 20 tooth speedo pinion in the transmission. The very early 2wd VG powered D21 had them, well some did. You will need to look through a lot to find the one you want. A 20 tooth should be a RED plastic gear. No guarantees, but this will get you close.

Thanks! This helps a lot. I did a quick google search.. Is this the same thing? 

http://www.jdmlegion.com/KnowledgeBase/Engine%20and%20gearbox%20conversions/Making-a-mechanical-speedo-sender-for-the-RB25-gearbox-f0271b89-cd6e-425d-bc0a-ee62f51dfaa7

Should i just order these items?

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/21-7184

http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-32702-02G17-Genuine-OEM-Mechanical-Speedometer-Pinion-Assembly_p_32135.html

but then theres this link that says purple is for 4.375 and has a totally different looking mechanical drive pinion.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=25353

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
58 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Why??? 350z is not going to fit. What are you after 6 speed?

The JDM S14 71C did have a 6 speed option I think. 

I’ve seen a couple builds where they’ve replaced the 240sx trans with a 350z trans. I know the 350z trans fits in a 280z just wondering about a 620. I just want lower rpms at highway speeds to save gas on long road trips. Plus I’m on my second 240sx trans... they’re hard to find with all the gears working now plus you gotta trust somebody on offer up saying it works now a days. 

• Like 1

Should be a fairly straightforward swap with a kit. 

Another better option for you would be a shorter cd009 from a frontier. It is essentially the same transmission only shorter. 

Seems to be a few people doing the swap.

Just watched a hoonigan autofocus on Z-Car Garage. They have done a few L Series 6-speed swaps.

Looks like a pretty standard swap.

https://hokeperformance.squarespace.com/l-series-350z-6-speed-adapter

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Somehow I thought this was dual rear tires. Even with single tires 10" is a bit much not to mention the unknown off set / backspacing. They may hit the body installing them or the body my hit them during normal suspension movements.

Stock 620 tires were 6.00 x 14"  you want something the same height but in 15" rim.

The 8.5" wheels on front are going to be way too wide, unless you're considering flares and cut fenders.

The rears...who knows. I don't know what the underside of that camper fender well looks like. Maybe plenty of room.

A 12.50" tire is going to be the right size for a 10" wide rim, and 10.50" for the 8" rim, but having two different size wheels and tires on a rig that takes you out into the wild is risky.

• 1 month later...