DATSUN 620 CHINOOK

MIKEYFTW

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sweet!!! Is that an actual working fridge of just an icebox? I'm looking to try and find a 12/110/ propane fridge for my "Sunburst"

It's an actual 3 way fridge. It works well but when i used it the other night i could smell propane which kinda sucks.

• Like 1

It's in great shape!  How does it do o steep mountain roads?

It does great up steep hills. The whole thing only weighs 3400 pounds!!

18772842090_f3ed241d1f_k.jpg

I need to ditch this grant and get a Nardi, what size do y'all recommend? Upgrades soon will be 15x10 rims, fender flares for front end and a period correct cassette stereo. 

• Like 3

I'm having a tire feathering problem on the right front wheel. Got different opinions on what it could be. My brother has suggested an alignment because the toe might be off and the other has been I need new shocks. The shocks were replaced less than 20k miles ago they don't feel blown. Anyone know what it could be?

• Like 1

'78 by the looks of it so it has the 4.375 differential. If this was a camper built by a conversion company using a Cab/Chassis, they only came in 4 speed and from '78 on. A 4.375 and four speed was needed for climbing hills with the tiny L20B.

Only the Z24 powered 720 camper Cab/Chassis got the 5 speed, and the dual tires on the back although they could be swapped onto earlier years. The true dual tire axles were 'floating' and did not carry the load.

• Like 2

Wide tires will handle poorly and offer traction problems in wet or sandy conditions, where as duals will cut through the water/dirt to work better.

Front tire wear can be from shocks, if they are cupping on the inside edges.  Feathering is from toe adjustments and a tape measure is all you need to fix that.  Either way, weight is likely the cause.  Too much for stock shocks and stock alignment specs.  I'd speculate 1/8-3/16" toe in will be necessary, and a good set of KYB shocks.  

• Like 3

mmmm.....hot dogs!

HAHA! 

'78 by the looks of it so it has the 4.375 differential. If this was a camper built by a conversion company using a Cab/Chassis, they only came in 4 speed and from '78 on. A 4.375 and four speed was needed for climbing hills with the tiny L20B.

Only the Z24 powered 720 camper Cab/Chassis got the 5 speed, and the dual tires on the back although they could be swapped onto earlier years. The true dual tire axles were 'floating' and did not carry the load.

Its a 78! The 4 speed is pretty awesome. 

Wide tires will handle poorly and offer traction problems in wet or sandy conditions, where as duals will cut through the water/dirt to work better.

Front tire wear can be from shocks, if they are cupping on the inside edges.  Feathering is from toe adjustments and a tape measure is all you need to fix that.  Either way, weight is likely the cause.  Too much for stock shocks and stock alignment specs.  I'd speculate 1/8-3/16" toe in will be necessary, and a good set of KYB shocks.  

I really wanted to go for the wider look and add flares but think I might keep the wheels I have now and throw BFG AT tires on. 

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Heres a lil picture update from the last time i posted.

Decided to take the Datsun with 2 of my friends to Burning Man. Made it as far as Fresno and blew up the clutch. 

24225129462_6bf89fba57_b.jpg

24037737340_0f3a6fd19c_z.jpg

Still got it there. 

24225092282_fb2c8224f1_b.jpg

Fixed the clutch, driveshaft carrier bearing, some new u-joints and got a detail. 

24225235212_29b27bceb4_z.jpg

back to zero.

24307226316_009c149e50_z.jpg

Ebay pickups. 

24333368265_f05702215b_z.jpg

24037790840_a118dabddc_z.jpg

camping in mojave.

24333466885_f52e982676_z.jpg

24037698940_06c6887a0b_z.jpg

• Like 5