New to Datsun and need help

mjp1531

Hey guys. I recently purchased a 72 Datsun 1600 521. There are definitely some wiring issues that I'll need help with.

The kid who had the truck said the headlights didn't work, nor did some of the other lights, so he tried his hand at fixing it. I haven't narrowed down what lights work or not yet, because one look under the bed showed that I need to tidy up his crappy work.

Firstly, the wiring coming from the taillights is spliced and hacked... Mostly exposed twisted wire ends. Does anyone have any pictures of their wiring from each side in the rear? I found a diagram but honestly it's confusing as hell, and I'd like to see the colors lol. I'm not an expert at wiring but I'd like to think I'm not too dumb to learn.

Also, the spark plug wires weren't connected. Can someone point me in the right direction of getting then plugged into the distributor cap in the right order?

I know I'll have many more questions, but I figured I'd start there first.

This truck needs some work but it looks to be like something my teenage son and I can learn on. I look forward to the work :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should try to find a manual as soon as you can. You'll need it. There are many different ones. Some are for 510/521 and some are for trucks.

Firing order is 1342

I'll try to get a pic under mine when I get home tonight and post it. I drove my 510 to work today or I'd do it now.

I saw a color wiring diagram and I'm pretty sure it was on ratsun. Try searching; you might find it.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I'm pretty ignorant on 521s, but here are some links that may help:

http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/620tech2.htmThis site is aimed at 620s, but I suspect some of the info applies to 521s.

http://datsun510.com./manuals/index.htmlHas 521 Factory Service Manual.

http://manualmotor.blogspot.com/2012/08/datsun-manual-download.htmlA huge collection of Datsun manuals. I skimmed through it really fast. I think I saw a Haynes manual for 521s. Also "How to Keep Your Datsun Alive" is there and has lots of basic info.

I find it hard to read large manuals online. I much prefer to have an actual book in hand. But seeing the online version can tell you whether or not it is worth going to eBay and buying a print copy.

Sometimes sorting out wiring is a matter of trial and error. Get a 12V test light or multimeter, then turn on the tail lights or one side turn signal or whatever. Then go back to your cut wiring harness and see which wire has power. But a readable wiring diagram helps too. The 521 Factory Service Manual may have one.

Len

• Like 1

The total wiring diagram is intimidating.

What you do is break it down into parts.  Then it is simple. 

One thing about a 521 is independent turn, and brake lights.  Most vehicles use the sale lamp in the light fixture for both functions, Not so with a 521.

See this thread about 521 tail lights.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18092-521-taillight-rebuilding/?hl=taillights

521 tail lights have four wires on each tail light assembly plug.   They SHOULD ground to the bed of the truck.  It is common for the tail light assembly to lose ground.  A quick fix it to add a ground wire from the tail light metal frame, to the frame of the truck.

The four wires are reverse light, stop light, turn signal, and tail light.  The reverse is the single wire, the turn, stop, and tail light wires are on a three pin connector.

• Like 1

Ok thank you :) I'm going to head under there with some windex and a rag to clean the gunk off. That way I can at least see what colors I'm working with lol. I'll try and get some pics of the truck itself posted later on today. Thanks again :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Does your truck have a smog pump? If so the blue and black wire go to the solenoid that is located on the carburetor. Read the Haynes 510/521 manual and it will describe how the solenoid works, when it should be powered up and when it should not. It works in conjunction with the dual point setup for emission purposes!

• Like 1