New

Lazy620

Hi my name is carlos and I recently bought a 521 I wanted to 620 but ended up with 521 because I think I got it for a good price but I am new to this car don't now much about it but they look Kool I know I will be running int o a lot of problems but I hope I can get the answer from someone here and yes I am a little disappointed that the previous owner put a sunroof on it haven't decided to keep it or take it out

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad, and with a 521, you do not need to make it pass emissions every two years.

Does it start, run and stop?  Are the floors not rusted out?  

You need to adjust the brakes every oil change.  You need to adjust the valves every other oil change.

The engine in a stock L-16 521 turns about 4,000 RPM at 60 MPH.   That is OK.    

I tried taking off the brake drum but it was stuck. I tried to pry it off but had no luck. It got late so I called it a day and will try and figure it out tomorrow. I also ran into another problem. My gas pedal got stuck and as I tried to free it the entire pedal assembly went through the fire wall, bolt and everything. Now I have a large hole where the pedal assembly is supposed to be bolted into. I'll try and post pictures tomorrow.

Here is a thread on adjusting the brakes.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/65468-adjusting-521-drum-brakes/

To get the rear brake drums off, you probably need to loosen the brake adjustment.  Turn the star wheel up to loosen the shoes.

Apply penetrating oil around the six lug nut studs.  Apply penetrating oil to the hub also.  I have found Acetone, and ATF mixed 50/50 makes one of the best penetrating oils you can get.  Way better than most stuff up buy.

If you hit the brake drum with a fairly large hammer, outside of the studs, it can help loosen the brake drum.  Hitting one side pushed the other side up.  DO NOT HIT THE STUDS.  It really messes with the threads.  Hit one side, then the other.  Hit 90 degrees to the first hits  keep working around the brake drum.

See this picture.

BrakeDrum_zpsb01bbf7c.jpg

These are not stock 521 brake drums, but they work.  You can see two threaded holes 180 degrees apart from each other, just outside of the axle hub.  You can screw a M8-1.25 into these threaded holes, and it will push the drum off the hub.   Chances are you do not have these threaded holes in your brake drums, but you might.

The bracket holding the gas pedal to the firewall commonly breaks.  The throttle cable has an adjustment on it, at the carburetor that takes up slack in the throttle cable at WOT.  There is also a pedal stop on the floor.   If the throttle cable adjustment gets too tight, at WOT, or the pedal stop get too low, the tight throttle cable forces the firewall to flex at the pedal mount, and it breaks the mount off the floor.

If you repair the pedal mount by welding, remove the gas pedal completely, and remove the spring, and the plastic bushing inside the spring.

To remove the gas pedal, remove the clip at the top of the pedal that holds the ball end of the throttle cable on the pedal. 

There is a small easy to lose clip on the pedal pivot by the heater.  Remove it, and then pull the return spring up, and over, and off the pedal arm.  Then slide the entire pedal to the left.  Push the plastic bushing out, to the left, and then the spring can be pulled out.  Then repair the pivot bracket.