Mopar Knowledge?

So I came across this 74 Plymouth Scamp for sale and was able to pick it up for $900

0612151230a_zpsiqbtyrmu.jpg

0612151230b_zpsluny0alc.jpg

1434139354464_zpslpf1llct.jpg

I was wondering if any of y'all had some know how and could help me out. We were looking around and found it has an 318 with a Carter Competition 4 Barrel in it, front disc brakes, rear air shocks, and the AC deleted. According to a sticker on the window it was Drag Raced in 97 and so far the evidence supports it.  The body has some rust where the vinyl top used to be but that is it. Underneath there is no rust. Then the windshield molding needs to be replaced due to it leaking. That led to surface rust on the floor boards but they are solid! If anyone has some pointers or things to help out with that would be greatly appreciated! And to the Mods I didn't quite know where to put this since it isn't a Datsun. So feel free to move it or do what you wish, or if y'all want updates let me know.

Thanks Rxacer

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I miss Mopars in my life. Reminds me when I was 16 a buddy and I pulled a 360 out of a Cordoba in a junk yard, had the bottom end rebuilt, threw some police interceptor heads and a nice cam/intake on it and did crazy burnouts in his Challenger. 

That thing is seriously screaming 440 motor home engine swap  :thumbup:  :devil:

• Like 1

$900. is a great price even for a beat down one..  i would just think i would put a bunch of labor into it getting it on the road and resaleing before gas prices go up ,,,,,,,,,,,,, again...  Not a dis  i have a couple huge antique roadmonsters,, and we just never drive them anymore even though gas has come down a little ...

Hell those vehicles sat for the better part of 2-3 years then,  as it would cost $50.-$75  just to cruise around one night in the town we live in .

• Like 2

Thanks man! And I think I will,be keeping this one though and I know what it feels like to drive a gas hog. My daily this winter was a 67 F250 that gets 7 miles per gallon. Right now I'm thinking that I just want to put the Labour into it over the summer then have a cool little run around.

nice scamp. the 318 is a great motor. not a fan of the 74 and later rear but whatever. i have a 72 with a 318. ran beautifully till i hit a rock and destroyed a bunch of stuff. the cool thing is i can decode the body ident plate for ya. tell you EXACTLY what your car has or should have. 

Does it run????? Nine hundred for a non runner is insane to pay. If not running how you going to evaluate the suspension, brakes, drive train???? There could easily be a few thousand hidden in things needing work.

Had a 5 year old '69 Charger 318 and a new '70 Dart 340. The 318 is a decent engine.

The LA series of engines were 318/340/360 and later MOPAR engines up 2003 including the V-10.The 318 is possibly the most trouble FREE engine EVER to come out of Detroit. How ever , it isn't exactly a "stop-light warrior.Headers,manifold and a good carb(maybe a cam)it'll be fun enough for you in a Scamp.What gears are in it?The tranny should be a 904-rare possibility of it being a 727.

Does it run????? Nine hundred for a non runner is insane to pay. If not running how you going to evaluate the suspension, brakes, drive train???? There could easily be a few thousand hidden in things needing work.

^^^ This, coming from a guy who is old enough to say this:

Had a 5 year old '69 Charger 318 and a new '70 Dart 340. The 318 is a decent engine.

Times have changed. If you haven't noticed, 510's aren't $50 anymore, either.

I think it was a good buy, dude. I'd build up my Mopar if I had the bankroll for it. 

• Like 2

So it's finally home and it runs!! Once we got the carb set and had it running smooth my uncle told me it wasn't stock. Most likely is running a camshaft in it. As for the transmission and gears I don't know yet. Been working the whole weekend so I haven't had that much time to investigate. I will update you all as I find out!

• Like 1

most likely its a 904 auto. most were. as soon as i get a rubbing or scan of the options plate i can say exactly what its got or supposed to have. that is if someone hasnt changed it like my last dart. 71 dart custom, 318\904\7.25 rear factory. when i got it it was still a 318\904 but with a 8.75 3.23 sure grip, M1 intake and a Carter AVS. and dual 2.25 exhaust, if i remember correctly that is on the exhaust. 

• 4 weeks later...

Its been too long but finally here is an update! Got fresh Gas in it and it runs pretty well now. Did a walk around and discovered that my blinkers didn't work so I checked the bulbs and they are good. Considering I have brake lights I assumed that the fuses are still good since they light up so that leaves it down to the relay. But I have no idea how to check it so I might just go see how much new ones are. Then my bigger problem at the moment is that my charging system isn't working. We had to re-thread the alternator since it wouldn't stay in place due to a crappy bolt. But when that was done we checked it and thats not the problem. it was pumping out around 14 volts I believe. So next in the chain is the regulator, I bought a new one put it in and it worked at idle but when I revved it the thing went out and we went back to not charging at all. So currently I am looking for a wiring diagram to check my wiring against. So that currently is how she sits mechanically. Interior wise i have pulled everything out but the front seats (Which are welded in) and the dash. I found some surface rust and plan on grinding it down and painting it over then leaving it bare until I can find a full interior set.Although I did fabricate a quick little door panel for it. Then lastly my trunk floor is rotted out and will have to be replaced. I was able to track down where the water was entering though and I got that all patched up! So progress is slow between work and family life but its slowly but surely getting done. 

0625152019_zpsu5iulaiw.jpg

0623152108_zpsbh50yqpa.jpg

I sanded away some surface rust and laid down some primer/rust preventer and then painted over it with black

0623152107a_zpswleltccw.jpg

• Like 2

most likely its a 904 auto. most were. as soon as i get a rubbing or scan of the options plate i can say exactly what its got or supposed to have. that is if someone hasnt changed it like my last dart. 71 dart custom, 318\904\7.25 rear factory. when i got it it was still a 318\904 but with a 8.75 3.23 sure grip, M1 intake and a Carter AVS. and dual 2.25 exhaust, if i remember correctly that is on the exhaust. 

My 340 was 2.25" dual exhaust, 8.75 and 3.23 diff, Carter air valve secondary. I did have a 318 Charger that ate transmissions. I think it had the 904 which was a light duty auto. I found a 727 from a 340 Dart and that ended that problem but it started breaking the flex plates. Turned out that someone had lost the alignment dowel on one side of the block to transmission and I had missed it. The 727 was strong enough for a hemi engine.

• 1 month later...

Update time!! New Altenator, regulator, blinker relays, and lights and shes my daily driver :) Been lots of fun so far!! In the process of slowly trying to do some bodywork prep for when I get it painted and then also locating an interior. I plan on keeping it until I got it partially restored then hopefully selling it and getting into a 260  :devil:

• 2 weeks later...