620 rehab in Tucson

radiopaulie

Picked up this 1973 recently in Tucson, Arizona. Appears to be a one-owner truck, with 90K miles. Runs, drives, and stops, but is very tired. Immediate plans are to go through the motor, new shocks, tires, windshield, and lots of other things. I'm not sure if there is more play in the steering, or in the gearshift! Original color appears to be red, with a metallic blue re-spray at some point. Looking forward to learning as much as I can from the forum!  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133764436@N05/shares/rt6627

• Like 2
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Paul and welcome to Ratsun. 620 speedos only go to 99,999 before 'rolling over' to zero. It's not unheard of for a maintained L series engine to go 190,000 miles though. The transmission shifter looseness is well known and aptly named the 'Monkey Motion' shifter. It just means the rubber cone bushings are worn or the linkage below it needs a washer... usually both. Steering ratio on the 620 steering box is about 19 to one so if all the parts... wheel bearings, (4) tie-rod ends (4) cross link (2) steering box... have a combined looseness of just 1/4" the wheel will have almost 5" of aide to side slack.

One of the first things is to get all the fluids changed. Usually after the third or fourth owner the vehicle is old and second hand enough the current owner just ignores the maintenance.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, King Rat! The link on my post will take you to some photos.

You'll notice my ignition switch hanging under the dash. That's definitely a priority fix - though the truck fires up fine. 

I'm also thinking 2 or 3 inch blocks in the rear, re-indexing torsion bars, and maybe some 195 65 14 tires. 

We're fortunate here in AZ, with no snow or salt. There's a bit of surface rust, but that's it. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...