Saturn Alternator in a 620

Spawn

Ok, I've searched through the archives a fair bit to find out exactly which year and model of Saturn alternator is a direct fit onto an L20b engine.  I have found many people discussing the use of an alternator from any model of Saturn, but wanted to just post this here almost as a placeholder for people searching for the information.

From what I have found it seems that an alternator from a 1991-1997 Saturn 1.9L SOHC or 1.9L DOHC engine, SC coupe, SL sedan or SW wagon are all the same part number according to Rockauto.com.  It is listing it as a Remy 91339 (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=474683&cc=1266803&jnid=516&jpid=3)

If anyone can confirm or deny if this is indeed the correct alternator, I would greatly appreciate it (as would other new members I'm sure) as I would like to stick with the stock lower radiator water hose neck coming off of the block because I cannot find a unit that has the output come off at a steeper angle (I investigated the possibility of using a different neck from a Z that has the output coming off at a steeper angle but was unable to find a replacement - even directly from a Z parts distributor who I sent a picture of the piece to).

Thanks in advance, and I hope that this serves as useful info, or at least as a good repository for detailed information with part numbers, years, etc, for others to replicate results from.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used an alternator off a 2002 Saturn SL. It fit better than the 1994 unit I pulled and cleared the lower water neck with no issues. Clears the idler arm pretty well at full sweep. I had to use a 2 7/8" turnbuckle plus the modified/cut upper alternator bracket to have full adjustment. kelowg is correct, the older one has external "fan" while the newer one has internal. I used a vbelt pulley I found off a 720 alternator. Belt size for me was a 7345

94 unit vs 02 unit

20150526_154218.jpg

20150528_175738.jpg

20150528_175727_006.jpg

20150528_175748.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Stealth!  Finally some concrete information with pictures and details!  Forgive my ignorance, but I have a couple of more questions just to clarify a few minor things.

1. Was it just the stock upper alternator bracket from the 35A alternator that you removed, cut down and then repositioned to allow the turnbuckle to operate without interference?

2. More of a general question, but what is the idler arm to know if the alternator is clearing it at full sweep?

3. Lastly, what is the unit that you have mounted in place of the radiator fan?  Is it an electric fan motor or something?  I've only ever seen the fan mounted directly to the black pulley behind it.

I used an alternator off a 2002 Saturn SL. It fit better than the 1994 unit I pulled and cleared the lower water neck with no issues. Clears the idler arm pretty well at full sweep. I had to use a 2 7/8" turnbuckle plus the modified/cut upper alternator bracket to have full adjustment. kelowg is correct, the older one has external "fan" while the newer one has internal. I used a vbelt pulley I found off a 720 alternator. Belt size for me was a 7345

94 unit vs 02 unit

20150526_154218.jpg

20150528_175738.jpg

20150528_175727_006.jpg

20150528_175748.jpg

I put a 77 200SX 60 amp in my 77 620  Same wiring uses the existing external voltage regulator. I make the upper bracket from a generic chevy one. Cut it down and drilled a new hole. The fan belt was 1/2" longer.  Fits fine and runs great YMMV

Thanks Stealth!  Finally some concrete information with pictures and details!  Forgive my ignorance, but I have a couple of more questions just to clarify a few minor things.

1. Was it just the stock upper alternator bracket from the 35A alternator that you removed, cut down and then repositioned to allow the turnbuckle to operate without interference?

2. More of a general question, but what is the idler arm to know if the alternator is clearing it at full sweep?

3. Lastly, what is the unit that you have mounted in place of the radiator fan?  Is it an electric fan motor or something?  I've only ever seen the fan mounted directly to the black pulley behind it.

1. Yea I used the stock bracket and cut off the "sliding" portion. I then drilled a hole for mounting to the turnbuckle. Another member did his the same way and I just copied it.

2. Idler arm is on the passenger side. The center link and tie rod connects to it

3. That's the fan clutch. The fan bolts to it. I just had everything apart since I was installing a new radiator at the same time

• 3 months later...

Charge lights work the same on all alternators.  One wire goes to the light.  Its powered when the alternator is not charging, turns off when its charging.  It doesn't matter if its a Delco, Nippondenso, Bosch, Toyota, Honda, John Deere, whatever.  Normally its the "F" or field terminal as opposed to the "S" or Sensing terminal.  Sometimes its labeled as L for Light or NY?.  Aftermarket "one wire" voltage regulators don't require this wire be hooked up to complete the charging circuit, but the regulator will be more consistent if it is.

Its a fan clutch, if the fans not needed it disengages it so the motor doesn't have to turn it. Later models had them its not transmission specific.

The clutch limits fan speed to about 1500 rpm no matter what speed the engine is turning, and does this at all times and temperatures. It works somewhat like a viscous LSD and uses a silicon oil between two spinning plates. There is a thermostat inside that senses hotter rad air and allows more fluid to flow in and increase the drive to about 2,300 RPMs.

• 2 years later...

I've tried, but I don't know how to look anything up on this site, plus I went to photobucket to try and get third party pictures, but they want $300 and some bucks even after pushing the free button. I had no idea Datsun people were so rich, but it makes sense, as you can afford to work on then. I have a 1978 Datsun 620 kc that I bought new, and it dropped a valve seat after 250,000 miles (piece of crap. So I decided to rebuild the engine. I am now attempting to put a Saturn internal regulator in my 620 that was also internal regulated. All I can find is how to convert over to external regulator. They get close but no cigar. My Saturn plug is wired to S F L P do I need to change them? If so, where do they go? Also want to keep my battery charge light.

Thank You,

For any help.

Doug

Go to Google. Type:

Saturn alternator into Datsun 620/ Ratsun or

One wire alternator swap into Datsun 620.Ratsun

Alternator swap into Datsun 620. Ratsun

Be sure to include the word Ratsun

Try any other image hosting site EXCEPT pb. I use Imgur but there are lots of others.

Go to Google. Type:

Saturn alternator into Datsun 620/ Ratsun or

One wire alternator swap into Datsun 620.Ratsun

Alternator swap into Datsun 620. Ratsun

Be sure to include the word Ratsun

Try any other image hosting site EXCEPT pb. I use Imgur but there are lots of others.

site:ratsun.net searchtext
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...