B210 front coils/springs

Hey guys, forgive me if my terminology is incorrect or just stupid.

Im getting ready to replace my shocks and struts (feels like i'm driving a bouncy castle) and while i was at it i wanted to lower my front a little. Ive got some of those spring compression things that i was going to mess around with this weekend to see what hight i like it at, but i was wondering if you could throw out a few suggestions on spring replacements, like if you've done it before and have a good hight to ride ratio, and know what spring would be good to replace it with.

Also, if there are other model cars that have spring sizes that are interchangeable with my 74' b210 4 door sedan.

Thanks in advance!

-Tolk

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See the b210 section here:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Strut_swaps#B210.2C_B310

You have 2" struts, ton of options and swaps out there, most 510 stuff will fit even though the actual strut/caliper is different. Please note that replacing a worn out strut will raise the front a bit also. If you do go with shorter springs or cut a coil or two off yours or swap struts you will need to readjust your alignment (toe in if I remember right).

The 280zx swap, while sometimes difficult to find the initial struts for, is a pretty good upgrade and reasonably straightforward (no welding and can be done in an afternoon). It will give you better brakes and lower the front at the same time.

Shock or damping action...

If you have the original oil filled dampers you can empty them out and switch to thicker weight hydraulic oil. This is what I did. The original oil is like water so I used 20W motorcycle fork oil. Thicker oil is harder to force through the internal valves and firms up the action. If yours have already been replaced with inserts then you have little option other than to just replace them. I think about $80 a pair? or each?? Fork oil was well under $20 a liter and enough for three struts.

Springs and ride height...

Factory ride is usually a compromise towards comfort and away from firmness and good handling. A stiffer spring (within reason) usually gives a better handling ride when performance driving. (within reason) A strange thing about springs are that if you shorten the length it increases the stiffness. This will also lower the ride height but it is very unlikely that the ride height and stiffness will be the same. Cutting the spring to set the ride height is foolish for just this reason. You may get the height just right but the ride hurts your tail bone. The current and estimated spring rate can be easily calculated mathematically. For example, my 710 front spring has a spring rate of about 100 pounds/inch or lb/in. By removing about 1 1/2 coils I increased the spring rate to 148 lb/in or about 50% using only an angle grinder. You can make the ride height adjustable and separate from spring stiffness for about $25 and avoid spending hundreds on coil overs. Coil overs are nice, but once the height is set they are just along for the ride. How many times are you really going to need to adjust the height anyway? While the strut is dismantled for the oil change, the lower spring perch can be neatly trimmed off and the weld on the strut tube ground off smooth. A $25 set of 2" split collars slipped on and perch replaced then the spring and top hat. The ride height adjusted and the split collars are tightened to the strut tube to support the spring perch and spring. Adjustment  is more difficult that coil overs but does the same thing. Under $50 for firmed up damper, (shocks) stiffer spring rate and adjustable ride height.

Yes it is a bit of work but you have to remove them anyway and compress and remove the spring. Probably 1/4 hour a side to change the damper oil maybe 1/2 hour each to trim the perch off and grind down. The satisfaction of doing this for about $50 including a cut off disc for the grinder is up there.

Tolkmod has a set of spring locks. He can put them on to get an idea of how low he wants it. Then we can lower the spring perches the same amount.

Does this car use an upper spring seat with a bearing? And do they usually need to be replaced too?

The top hat has a bearing in it and is sized to match the spring. If replacing the strut with say, a zx, you would use your spring, bottom perch and top hat. Or a custom spring, but the zx spring is way too large to fit up in your strut tower.