73 620 to 79 620 ALTERNATOR conversion

Ok so I am pulling my hair out looking thru all the posts and somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong...the Internally regulated alternator bolts in and plugs in the same as the externally regulated one and I jump the wires at the regulator plug correct? I see four wires BUT the new ALT only has three. Am I no longer using the ground to the old ALT body? Any help would be great...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I am pulling my hair out looking thru all the posts and somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong...the Internally regulated alternator bolts in and plugs in the same as the externally regulated one and I jump the wires at the regulator plug correct? I see four wires BUT the new ALT only has three. Am I no longer using the ground to the old ALT body? Any help would be great...

You better use the old ground wire to the alt amigo if you want it to work

This is obviously not a Nissan alternator then. The ground wire on your harness is Black. Likely it will ground through the mounting bolts alright, but better to have the Black wire to the alternator case. There is likely somewhere to mount the ground wire. Post a picture of the back of the case.

It is a Mitsubishi alternator. It has the t plug, battery post and then a ground to the alt body. I will try and post some pictures. I found previous threads which helped a bunch. I just dont much like fire and melting plastic so I would like to be sure. Thanks guys..

Made it work fine just not super happy with the upper alternator bracket. Alternator was about three quarters of an inch shorter bolt hole to bolt hole. Was I supposed to use a later bracket like maybe for 79 truck? Either way charges 14.3 at idle so I'm real happy with the end result..