Matchbox Conversion from Remote Ignitor EL Distributor – Help Needed!!

Whoa. Takeover!

Ok, so haven't had time to get under the hood any more, but in answer to earlier queries, it was recommended that I replace and upgrade the distributor. The shop that built the motor (Top End in North Hollywood) recommended upgrading to the matchbox style of unit. This is only following what seems to be the failing of the current distributor. I've been dealing with an intermittent misfire and loss of spark on cylinder #2 for a bit, so rather than just get a replacement EL distributor, it was recommended to upgrade to the matchbox unit.

Was I wrong in assuming that I could basically just drop in the new distributor, wire appropriately, and go? I would think that since these are both EL distributors that use the same cap and rotor that I wouldn't put the new one in and have to radically change the timing or position of the plug leads on the cap. Or am I missing something?

I do feel like I'm missing a wire from the ignition to the + terminal, but I'll need to investigate further...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx man I'll try that. I'll let tall know how it works. It also may be a bad switch but I won't get ahead .

Just FYI for the match box guys. Upon inspection, I did notice slight corrosion on the pickup as well as the connectors at the "T" we're loos. So I popped of the front of the modual and one connection needed solder. So may be of interest to others?

Whoa. Takeover!

Ok, so haven't had time to get under the hood any more, but in answer to earlier queries, it was recommended that I replace and upgrade the distributor. The shop that built the motor (Top End in North Hollywood) recommended upgrading to the matchbox style of unit. This is only following what seems to be the failing of the current distributor. I've been dealing with an intermittent misfire and loss of spark on cylinder #2 for a bit, so rather than just get a replacement EL distributor, it was recommended to upgrade to the matchbox unit.

Was I wrong in assuming that I could basically just drop in the new distributor, wire appropriately, and go? I would think that since these are both EL distributors that use the same cap and rotor that I wouldn't put the new one in and have to radically change the timing or position of the plug leads on the cap. Or am I missing something?

I do feel like I'm missing a wire from the ignition to the + terminal, but I'll need to investigate further...

I was wondering the same. According to the diagram, the IGN And start are to the positive side of coil. The other going fro negititive to dizzy as well as Ign/power. Ground to block or to Bat.

Again...pics.

Does the non-matchbox EI system use the Datsun HEI box or the GM module?

Was the ignition cables put on in appropriate locations.

Your car was at a shop. They told you something was wrong.

You decided to do the work you couldn't diagnose.

See what I'm doing there?

misfire and loss of spark on cylinder #2

kinda hard to believe its #2 cyl thats the only proplem. unless the rotor end in the star magnet is screwd on this otherwise Maybe it not the distributor but a tight valave lash spark plug or maybe wire insulation breakdown on #2.

nothing wrong with a Matchbox either but really to me its the same just different way it triggers are coil trupe resisitance determins the amount of sparK(I think)