Vehicle moving trolley - What have you made ??

Ok, so Ive decided im going to build a trolley to move the shell around with and utilise as a work platform.

I "did" have a rotisserie, however it was loaned to someone a while ago and my chances of getting it back...........lets just say its not worth the headache.

Been scratching my head on how to build something when I came across to metal racks placed next to a dumpster bin at one of the local auto parts shops yesterday.  Best of all, there was a sign on them saying free! (RW likes free stuff).

The plan at this stage is to affix some casters to the base of the legs (frame is upside down in the pic) and then, after shortening the legs slightly, make up some mounting brackets to affix the shell to and voila, hopefully stable, and movable repair platform.

Thinking about mounting off the front and rear crossmember mounting points but have to take a few measurements, work out best balance point etc.

Below is the starting point i.e. the frame.

If anyone has any Pics of their own contraptions i'd like to see them pls.

P1030069_zpslksbnxem.jpg

And yes Mike, I searched :)

• Like 2
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little something I threw together out of stuff lying around the garage on my day off.

Ah yes, if only I had a PHD in Robotics, and not the lowly associate diploma I currently hold.

Ratsun inspired solutions pls :)

• Like 1

I have some rollers that clamp to the pinch welds of a car at work so you can move them around when you have suspension/cradles out ect.

Ill snap a pic of them tomorrow, deff come in handy.

Thank you!

Any/all other work is good to look at.

Only thing with a pinch weld mounting system is I have to replace both sills. This is why im guessing/trying for mounting points away from where I have panel/rust replacement.

Still like to see oics please.

Thank you!

Any/all other work is good to look at.

Only thing with a pinch weld mounting system is I have to replace both sills. This is why im guessing/trying for mounting points away from where I have panel/rust replacement.

Still like to see oics please.

the other method Iv used is getting some extra front and rear crossmembers (bare) and welding some big ass rubber wheeled casters to them.

heres what I have at work.

mms_picture%2066_zpsffidzgln.jpg

Nice! 

But this assumes some jackass didn't raise the car a thousand times using the pinch welds. Otherwise you'll have to work them straight first. 

Very cool regardless!

heres what I have at work.

mms_picture%2066_zpsffidzgln.jpg

This is pretty!

Im with Stoffgren on this one, the plan is to hopefull be able to utilise it as a multi purpose rolling table/stand etc.

Plan now is to have a set of arms which will slide into the existing uprights; the arms having additional attachments which will affix to the rear and front crossmember mounting points.

I'll post a hand drawn oic of my latest crazy idea later.

Thanks for the input guys !

• Like 1

This is pretty!

Im with Stoffgren on this one, the plan is to hopefull be able to utilise it as a multi purpose rolling table/stand etc.

Plan now is to have a set of arms which will slide into the existing uprights; the arms having additional attachments which will affix to the rear and front crossmember mounting points.

I'll post a hand drawn oic of my latest crazy idea later.

Thanks for the input guys !

It comes in handy in the body shop when we have to pull motors/front sub frames to so major front end repairs.

I can see what your thinking about, I think the right design would work great.

Minor update.

Shed cleanup is a constant, and never ending process for me.

unearthed some casters, including a trolley jack I havent thrown out yet (with some wheels on it ) :thumbup:

Will now be working out which wheels, mounting heights etc and the progressing.

P1030077_zpsdwdrkygn.jpg

• Like 2