a87 questions

Hey so ive got a few questions about my lz22 setup. I have reason to believe either my rings or my valve seals are bad so I tried looking for just the valve seals but cant find them anywhere. Is there a particular set I should pick up or a site that sells just the gasket set for the a87 head? Thanks guys

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only the '74 had the L18 but any L series valve seals will fit. Intake and exhaust the same.

13207-21001 at Nissan, cheaper elsewhere. Maybe $2-$3 each?

Valve seals can be done using 4 or 5 feet of nylon rope. Tie a large  not in the end and stuff the rest down the plug hole at start of the compression stroke. Turn engine by hand until piston compresses the rope against the closed valves to hold them. Change the two seals or go to bed and finish in the morning, not worrying that the valves will fall into the cylinder.

Never tried compressed air. Looks too risky and you need electricity, a compressor and fittings. My way you can do off road in the woods.

Factory OEM Nissan are the best stock type seals. The rubber is high quality and lasts a very long time.

Racing type seals are usually more firm.

honda-stomper, no offense but it amazes me how many times people ask where to get parts. The dealer is usually a great place to start and an automotive machine shop is the next best thing. Every medium size town has a machine shop.

Im sorry I should have specified what im talking about. I can get stock gaskets but I was wondering if the racer brown cam or any of the massive porting done to the head would change anything or better recommendations for gaskets and seals.

'82 and '83 S110 (200sx) and the '81-'82 720. The early 200sx Z22 engine was the same as all Z22s used in the 720 but from January '82 and on a different piston/rod combination was used on the 200sx engine

Custom pistons usually have a name cast (forged) into them. Call the pistonb manufacturer for the specs. Or bring the whole piston and rod with rings down to your local machine shop and have them order the right rings for you.

It's only Greek to you. People who speak the language will figure it out without hassle.

Is there a big difference in length or strength of either of those?cuz I was told my lz22 has custom piston which is going to make it a pain to find rings for.

Yes. One has longer piston and shorter rod the other is shorter piston longer rod. They work about the same.

Your LZ22 may simply have been bored to 89mm and KA pistons used or trimmed VG30 pistons. Technically not 'custom'.

Does a blue cloud follow you down the road? puff of smoke on shifts? Does it restart with a puff of smoke? How much oil is lost over, say 1,000 miles? Place cardboard under the engine area and check for drips. Leaks are still a cause of oil consumption.

There are many causes of oil consumption, but oil stains around the carb are not indicative of stem seals. More likely stuck oil rings.

Try adding a quart of ATF (automatic trans fluid) to your engine oil. It is a detergent oil and if left in the engine long enough, can loosen stuck oil rings. Leave it in for 500 or 1000 miles and then do an oil change. It may smoke pretty bad during this time, but that's actually a sign that it's working.

For all the nay sayers, I have done this many times, so don't be afraid.

I was told by a coworker when I past him that I had a good size blue cloud produced. Alrighty ill try that atf idea. I was also told it was a Monroe track motor so maybe ill try the compression ratio to see what im getting but im waiting on my unilite cap and rotor cuz mine is toast. Should I drive it any different with the atf in it?

I was told by a coworker when I past him that I had a good size blue cloud produced. Alrighty ill try that atf idea. I was also told it was a Monroe track motor so maybe ill try the compression ratio to see what im getting but im waiting on my unilite cap and rotor cuz mine is toast. Should I drive it any different with the atf in it?

Well you shouldn't hammer on it all the time, but some hard driving might help.