Paint formulas that match factory colors?

My local paint shop doesn't show much interest in wanting to research a formula for my 529 bamboo tan. They prefer to scan a sample of the color, instead.

Would it be worthwhile to have folks post the actual manufacturer's formula # for the successful matches they've had? And I mean MATCH, not come pretty close.

Or is that a crap idea?

The paint code thread is great: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/38158-datsun-paint-and-codes/, but I was wondering if actual formula numbers for PPG/DuPont, etc could help some folks.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you were able to somehow find a 45 year old can of perfectly matched factory alkyd enamel, and know the exact formula, it would not match your car.  Your paint has faded in the last 45 years, even if your car spent every moment not driving in a windowless garage.

That type of paint is not made anymore.   Paints are much better now, and in many places, you have to use water based paints, not solvent based.

Your best option is to have acooperative paint store tint or shade an existing color, with a current technology paint formula to match an existing paint on your car.  Under the truck lid, behind the seat, somewhere not exposed to the sun, or heat, or engine fumes.

• Like 1

Do the scan and color match!  Current technology is great. As recommended scan an area not subject to sun, polution or mischevious holloweene teens like the inside of the trunk lid.  Polyurethane paints are a good chemical match for the original Alkyd Enamel so no peeling or wrinkling will appear.  Just be sure the shop degreases and does a scuff up  and wipedown before starting spraying.  The polyurethane does not require frequent waxing and buffing and will not "chalk" like enamel will in the direct sunlight.

It will come out looking like this:

veu060.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice MikeRL411 :) Love the blue, looks great!!

My car is the same way, soon as I'm done with all the interior and tuning out my engine I plan on fixing some dents and having the car resprayed with as close to the factory paint as possible. 

I found my original color code to be a Nissan #227 Brick/Burnt Orange, and my local body shop said they will match it off of an under carpet or trunk sample, and not rely on the factory code.  

It's easier and closer to the original to let them scan it and mix the colors for you.  

Just a FYI

Good luck in your search OP, but I still think your best option will be to go with the scan color matching tech.

• Like 2

Ok, so I went to a jobber that said they could pull the factory codes. They had a formula for the Buckskin, but not the 021 green, so they called DuPont and they 'matched' it to the closest thing they had. We scanned the 529 Bamboo.

None was a perfect match. The Bamboo was too light, the Buckskin was a shade off and needs some tweaks to the hue, and the green was too light and too blue. If my car is going to be Kermit green, it's gonna be full-Kermit, not almost-Kermit.

They adjusted the Bamboo to my liking and Ill have to take the others back for them to fix.

So, this is why I was asking about actual formula numbers. I thought it might be of use to folks, in the future. or maybe not.

At this point, I'm locked into DuPont's Nason Urethane S/S.

Thanks for the replies and the info.

• Like 1

Go to a different paint shop.. Sounds like they aren't interested in having customers.

Ok, so I went to a jobber that said they could pull the factory codes. They had a formula for the Buckskin, but not the 021 green, so they called DuPont and they 'matched' it to the closest thing they had. We scanned the 529 Bamboo.

None was a perfect match. The Bamboo was too light, the Buckskin was a shade off and needs some tweaks to the hue, and the green was too light and too blue. If my car is going to be Kermit green, it's gonna be full-Kermit, not almost-Kermit.

They adjusted the Bamboo to my liking and Ill have to take the others back for them to fix.

So, this is why I was asking about actual formula numbers. I thought it might be of use to folks, in the future. or maybe not.

At this point, I'm locked into DuPont's Nason Urethane S/S.

Thanks for the replies and the info.

We need photos now..

This would be helpful for sure... If you get a formula that is universal that's be great... Wondering if there is a standardized way of recording the formula?

I've been looking for just that for a while now... Bamboo tan and turquoise are the colors I'm after but I don't have any thing to use as a sample to color match and pictures off the net vary depending on screen used and printer used if you print it off

• 2 weeks later...

BambooDat, I don;t think there's any way to take one brand's formula and cross-reference it, due to differences in the base tints used, but if one person has great luck with DuPont Nason 2K, then anybody else should be able to find their Nason dealer and request it.

My Bamboo was off and I had the supplier correct it. I'm happy with the result. I'd need to grab the original formula AND the correction amounts for you.  Now, even though the mixer has that, it's still up to them to pour the correct amounts into the can. Some people care less than others. I mixed paint when I was a youngster, and it requires care.

And it's really important to compound old paint to determine its actual color. Any oxidation on old paint will make a color look lighter than it should be.

I just haven't has time to crack open all 3 colors and show how well they match my original paint...