Project: 74' B210 --- *Updated 6/13/16*

Completed the Driver side rear panel yesterday, just letting it completely dry and get set before i cut out the door handle and window crank holes.   I'll probably install it tonight after work.

20160428_195749.jpg

Very happy with how it turned out :)

• Like 3
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that looks great!

Nice work!

Thanks!  Sometimes I actually pull something off and make it look good LOL :)

Speaking of that... I worked on my dash pad and center console today.

42 years worth of dust and dirt...  few quick swipes with a shop vac and things are all good!

20160430_115654.jpg

INSTALLED!  Talk about pretty  :D

20160430_122440.jpg

Then i went to work on some power cord and cable issues and then installed my phone mount, it fit perfectly where the old cig lighter plug use to go.   :)

Nice solid mount with no bouncy!!  I'm still not sure if i'm gonna stick with the orange mount, or go back to the black one.  For now I'll keep the orange up and see how i like it.

20160430_134414.jpg

Then i got my center console installed, and got my stereo back up and running... man it's been soooo long with out any tunes in the car.  Now i got my thumps back and I'm very happy!!

20160430_160909.jpg

Wide shot of the dash and console installed.  I think it looks amazing :)  I love it when I see how i want something to look in my head and it actually winds up looking just like i wanted it to in the end  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

20160430_160901.jpg

If you didn't notice I gave up on the carpet install, I did such a crap job on it that I'm gonna stop throwing away money on trying to do it myself, and I'm gonna have the guys that wrapped the dash and console install new carpet, just to make it nice and pro.  

Also, they're still gonna make me a custom shift boot, as the cheesy "nismo" boot I got for $3 off ebay is just uggggly... lol  at least I do like the shift nob.  

Starting to see some "finish" on Liz... it's nice :)

• Like 3

Oh yeah, almost forgot another small update.

I bought and installed a coolant over flow bottle from fleabay, super high quality and very nice looking!!  Even came with an orange hose!!  (it's the small things... lol)

Nice over view shot...  isn't my radiator so tiny? lol 

20160501_115627.jpg

20160501_115634.jpg

20160501_115703.jpg

Anyways, I like it, and keeps my coolant from draining on those hot days.   I was thinking about putting a Ratsun sticker on the lid of the bottle, but not sure... I need to find an orange one, and small enough to fit on the top lol

Oh, and just a newb question... I mounted it correctly right?  The height and angle and all that good stuff?  I figured it shouldn't be higher than the outlet on the radiator so as to allow for flow back and forth between it and the radiator.  Or does it even matter?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So...  I have fought my nemesis and conquered it!  

Nemesis being friggin carpet....   

Friggin took me 9 hours to do this, a ton of steam, a few sessions of almost calling it quits, and then finally things started falling into place...  

20160530_154426.jpg20160530_154435.jpg20160530_154444.jpg20160530_194004.jpg20160530_201046.jpg20160530_201101.jpg

I had to rip out the back carpet and reinstall as well, but it looks the same as the front, so I think i have enough pics of that.

Though, before I started on the carpet I upgraded my rear speakers from the 6.5" separates with the pods, to 6x9 polks.  I think it looks 100 times better, less "cheesy" in my opinion.

20160509_183359.jpg20160517_192319.jpg

Then I started working on my front door panels, or cards or whatever people feel like they should be called.

Cut them both out, then pancaked them up with the orignal and used it as a template to sand down the edges so as to get a perfect match on both sides.

20160603_163245.jpg

Someone asked last time how i made the clip holes, well here ya go...

th_20160603_164534.jpgth_20160603_164556.jpgth_20160603_165042.jpg

Quite easy...  just gotta line everything up with the original and get the right size drill bits. then cut out the link between the two.

Here's the two done...

20160603_171316.jpg

I have them wrapped in the same vinyl leather as the rear panels, but forgot to take a pic of them.  I'll get some up when I get them installed on the doors.

Welp, that be all for now.

Have a good week all!

-Tolk

• Like 5

Finished up with the front door panels and mid support pillar bar thingie (think it's called a b-pillar?  eh... )

Driver and Passenger doors installed and looking pretty clean  :thumbup:

20160610_194050.jpg20160613_153414.jpg

I used the same vinyl leather to recover the b-pillars on both sides, hopefully this pic will show you what the look like.  Now everything matches from the dash to the panels... looks really good in person.  

20160610_194941.jpg

My next project will probably be replacing the door lock actuator on my driver side, seeing as I was an idiot and drilling bigger holes for the new door panel clips i had to buy and I drilled right through the dang thing lol   :angel:  Back to manually locking and unlocking the car for a while lol

I'm also in the process of replacing the door handle pulls, I so hate the way the original ones look, so I'm designing and building new ones.  

In case you're wondering what happened to my power windows, I took those out seeing as they really didn't have enough power to seal the passenger door's window, so I'm working on building an internal power regulator that will allow me to keep the nice stock appearance of the door panels, a best of both worlds kind of thing.

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

So, i knew I was to dang lucky with this car.   My first bit of damage.

20161105_200046.jpg

20161105_200024.jpg

I was working in the garage around 8pm, (my garage is out behind my place) and had taken a quick break to run to the bathroom and grab a drink.  When I heard a "CRUNNNNCHHHH"  then my car alarm went crazy.  I ran the few extra feet and saw my (of all people) landlord getting out of her car.   By then there were about 5 other people running outside to see if anyone was hurt.  It litterally sounded like someone was flying around the corner and plowed into a car.

"I barely hit it..."   she said. 

I took a few pictures and then walked away, I was shaking i was so mad.

A few days later we talked, and she squared it all up with me.   I just got a new grill off ebay and it looks to be in REALLY good shape.  So at least there's a plus on that.

I'll throw up some pics of the new grill soon.  I'm thinkin bout maybe leaving the broken one on until I get my euro bumpers.

I'm just happy she didn't hit the hood and bend that all to crap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So... project is on hold until my recently replaced knee is healed.  

I had gone through a "woah is me" phase and put it up for sale, but through my halfhearted attempt at selling it figured I wasn't really wanting to go there.  

So, I sit here dreaming up stuff I want to do with the ol' girl...  while being pissed off at my knee for not healing fast enough.

Till then.... i leave with a few cool xrays of my knee.

20170414_084350.jpg

20170414_084317.jpg

mwhahahahahahah   :devil:

20160417_094333.jpg

20160417_094339.jpg

I'm pretty sure you guys know what these are!!   :w00t:

PL510 crossmember (with all the goodies) and a 2-door 510 drive shaft.

The 510 wagon diff/axle is the next step (maybe a few weeks for that) and most of my drive train issues will be solved.

1 step closer to my L20b swap!!!!!

There are only 2 lengths of PL510 driveshafts... wagons and sedans. Two or four door driveshafts will be 42 9/16" long. Wagon's are 48 7/8" The difference is almost exactly the difference between the 510 4 speed and the 71B 5 speed. It's also the difference between the R-160 and the H-190 differentials.

So... project is on hold until my recently replaced knee is healed.  

I had gone through a "woah is me" phase and put it up for sale, but through my halfhearted attempt at selling it figured I wasn't really wanting to go there.  

So, I sit here dreaming up stuff I want to do with the ol' girl...  while being pissed off at my knee for not healing fast enough.

Till then.... i leave with a few cool xrays of my knee.

20170414_084350.jpg

20170414_084317.jpg

Total knee; probably CoCr femur implant with what looks like a uhmwpe tibial plateau surface and patellar implant too! Nice.

Worked in that field for many years, somewhere I've got a box of that hardware from some demos. 

You'll be up and around pretty quickly (if non-smoker). 

this is my 3rd, and soon to be a 4th surgery on this knee.  It's been a pain in my.... well everything for the past 5 years now.  Got attacked by a drugged out patient while working in a hospital ER, so it's all worker's comp stuff.  

I'll probably be having another one soon, as all the damage done to my knee has caused a serious amount of scar tissue to build up, so they want to do a manipulation to help move it along a little quicker.

If you notice on the 2nd xray all the weird white scarring just below my knee cap, that was from the previous 2 surgeries.  Guy messed up my knee pretty good.

Hopefully I'll be back to work in a few months, getting sick to death of sitting at home doing nothing.  It's pretty sad that I'd rather be working than sitting around on my butt at home all day lol

Oh, and yeah, never smoked a day in my life.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/16/2016 at 10:17 PM, Tolkmod said:

And another small update.  Well, not small but at least something was completed 🙂

Finished up my front grill/bumper replacement project.

Finished painting, looking rather sweet 🙂

20160416_163639.jpg

Nice looking grill !! Good job.

Do you know the part number or name for the middle piece - the long flat one that runs across the middle? I have an idea that I might be able to use that on a different old Datsun. Or even better, where it is possible to buy the piece.

Thanks

12 hours ago, rosso said:

Nice looking grill !! Good job.

Do you know the part number or name for the middle piece - the long flat one that runs across the middle? I have an idea that I might be able to use that on a different old Datsun. Or even better, where it is possible to buy the piece.

Thanks

I do not, it's actually a stock feature with the b210's, it's a small metal flap that sits just above the stock bumper, it looks as though it's just there to cover the gap between the bumper and the body so it doesn't look too tacky, though I think the bumpers, in general, are seriously tacky and ugly.  The back bumper also comes with one as well.  I kept it on there because of 2 reasons, 1 - it looked kind of cool, and 2- it provided stability to the whole underside and allowed me to mount the new bumper cover much easier.