Not new to Nissan, but new to l28

Specter

Right, hello, so, new member here, not new in the tuning 'community'.. just been on hiatus for a good while.

So I finally was able to snag me a car I've been wanting for near 15 years now, and I've finally the place to work on it, and the time, and the money. That being a '76 280Z with the L28 engine [which will be NA with carbs once those show up in the mail]. I'm sure that this has been covered at some point in the past on this forum, however I have a simple question in two parts.

Will the flat top L28 280ZX pistons fit/work in the 280Z L28 [which has domed], and is that a good idea for an NA build? 

I'm rebuilding the engine anyways, why not try and do some kinda improvement in the process. 

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

L28 pistons were all 86mm diameter and will interchange. They came in flattop with larger combustion chambers and 10.9cc dished (not domed) with a smaller combustion chamber. Flattops in a small combustion chamber is going to push the compression pretty high. A small gain for sure but higher octane gas required, pinging on hot days....

I would get the later zx flattops and the matching (and better flowing) later zx P90 head. Compression will be much more reasonable and you get better breathing than the N42 or N47 head you now have.

Yup my brain did flip that around when I wrote it, dished. 

Well second question then about the later ZX P90 head, same intake/exhaust manifolds as the whatever N head I have? [should go find out really but it's midnight.]

I'll see if I can work that out tonight. Do you have the bore and stroke and hopefully the combustion chamber volume for your head? Otherwise I can 'reverse engineer' to guess at the head volume and compute compression with flattops.