Frank-en-stein 521

plnfixr320

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20150519_194302827_zpsfmmwbp3d.jpg

With the EGR delete plate on the back of the head we got the engine in the frame. 

IMG_20150519_193802791_HDR_zps4x0yut3x.j

IMG_20150523_121800891_HDR_zpsrplvk3vb.j

We will have to cut to get the cab back forward so the front axle isn't outrunning the rest of the truck.

IMG_20150519_194524886_zps91wh0dob.jpg

The weekends progress was hampered a bit by a bit of a gap. 

IMG_20150523_145222720_HDR_zpsm03tpdbo.j

The input bearing for the rear case is 0.010 bigger than the dual case adapters machined opening. I am gonna have to call trail-gear tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Just a quick status update. Found out that the rear case being from an early round headlight truck has a slightly different spline profile. The guy at trail-gear said to just swap it with the forward case and all will be fine. So now we have two cases to completely tear down and rebuild. 

• Like 1

VW Rabbit or Honda Civic Radiator. If it doesn't fit with the fan, take off the fan and run either slim electric or move to push fans and put them in front of the radiator. I removed my clutch fan from my 22RE and run a Nissan Quest 2 speed electric fan with a Volvo 2-speed relay with BMW two temp sensor. Works like a champ. Also, change your themostat to the two-stage version. Another great mod for cheap.

While the 22R is out, remove the front timing cover and replace the plastic chain guides with metal or you will be hating life later. I promise you. Might as well do the timing chain as well. If you want a good deal on good parts Toyota (non-OEM) hit up engnbldr.com (Ted). Use much of his stuff with no issues at all. I run his 268 cam in my daily.

Too bad you didn't find a 20R and use the 22R head. Thats the hotter ticket. I have a spare 22RE head with 2mm over sized valves and port / polished but that's a lot of work to make it function.

• Like 3

The 22r is an early tall deck one, we are gonna do a full rebuild on it. I thought the trick was the smaller chamber 20r head on the early 22r for higher compression and some HP. I been wrong before. We were already planning on electric fans for better slow speed high rpm trail rides. Just looking at the front end I can't imagine there's room for pusher fan/s. If someone has done it please point us in the direction. The Civic Rad is a good tip, that should be easy to find in a junkyard.

• Like 1

Got the input shafts swapped today. Then we stabbed the dual cases in and got the cross member installed. Since the sun was still up we cut the fire wall and trans tunnel open to move the cab forward. Finally we mounted the steering box.

IMG_20150530_140342519_HDR_zpslxytlqwa.j

IMG_20150530_140329111_zpsrssvqfgy.jpg

IMG_20150530_171534921_zpsgzbbnhtr.jpg

IMG_20150530_171522104_zpsnktwykeu.jpg

IMG_20150530_171518850_HDR_zpsymiitdsk.j

Looks like we have a country mile for a radiator and fans now.

• Like 1

At some point someone had bugger welded some bucket seat brackets to the floor. So they had to go.

IMG_20150602_182719722_zpseh1puuar.jpg

The stock bench went in and the front case shifter clears. The rear case will require either going to buckets or some trick twinstick engineering. The super cool purple and orange vinyl is hard to beat.

IMG_20150603_191311240_zpsazlnkgnd.jpg

IMG_20150603_183645223_zps7wsycyuh.jpg

The steering shaft lined up fairly good.

IMG_20150601_155425246_zpsn669xxep.jpg

The axle centerline is 3" forward of the wheelwell center.

IMG_20150601_161702876_zpskhrqf4zy.jpg

• Like 1

That should work pretty nice with the shackle reversal. I like how the Toyota engine sits a lot further behind the front axle center. Datsuns sit a lot closer to center. Stands to reason why you had to cut the firewall. It should wheel awesome though! Nice work guys, KEEP IT UP!  :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I told him that I will not build his truck. I will however match every second he works on it 100%. He should end up with something he knows inside and out and is proud of. 

now that is being a DAD.

For a seat solution track down a late 70s/early 80s Datsun, Mazda or Toyota truck bench seat as they normally have a notch in the middle of the seat for the shifter clearance.

• Like 2

Nice build project. I wish I could get my 14yr that motivated. Rebuilding a 95 2wd for him. But he wanted my old SAS 93 D21.

That makes two of us. If I wanted him to build a bicycle or a skateboard he would be all over it.  :rolleyes:

I could maybe wrangle up some cattle prods, they should do the trick. :rofl:

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...