Frank-en-stein 521

plnfixr320

So with my son being 14 his interest in what his first car would be started growing. We started cruising the ole internets and found something that he had a vision for. 

5ed6d290_zpspfwv5n93.jpg

6f5c5472_zpsvl1j7hvr.jpg

6cf53234_zpssalxn9wo.jpg

9c05e540_zpsvocrigwd.jpg

4aab43f9_zpsf3rjzpxt.jpg

He saw these pictures and said that thing looks cool. So after some phone calls we borrowed my buddies trailer and headed to northern CA to grab it and a Toyota rear axle. 

397471_10202110127468451_1053917991_n_zp

1606882_10202110126708432_1761271933_n_z

Loaded up and headed back home. It was a 20 hour day with lots of windshield time. We got quite a few thumbs up on the 99 south that day. We made a dinner/gas stop in Bakersfield....at 11pm that was a FREAK SHOW. My buddy that road shot gun still laughs about some of the things we saw. 

The next day we snapped some more pictures and off loaded the remains. 

2014-01-15_16-16-53_526_zpswbol2zb8.jpg

2014-01-15_16-16-59_991_zps6wkjxv9e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We stumbled on a deal we couldn't pass up on a frame. Found a Toyota frame for $250 in Vegas. After considering that we are using Toy engine, trans and dual cases we figured that it was going to be cheaper and easier to build body mounts verses the entire back half, engine mounts etc.

So on the road again, on the Sunday that 2 guys were supposed to fight in Vegas. 3 am we were north bound.

IMG_20150503_040945574_zpsl8u8tztd.jpg

IMG_20150503_090542092_zpsv6froyid.jpg

We were loaded and headed home by 7am.

By 10 am we were home and by noon this happened.

IMG_20150503_105719501_HDR_zpswqriqzbp.j

IMG_20150503_124421179_HDR_zpsqxssmaqq.j

IMG_20150503_124425084_zpsptnywcdi.jpg

IMG_20150503_124455638_zpsiwnrynaf.jpg

IMG_20150503_151655596_zpsqdlcorln.jpg

Thanks to Grandpa, his uncle and a school buddy we got the cab set in place. 

• Like 1

The 521 has moved indoors for now. We have a G52 trans and forward shift crawl box that will hopefully be going in next weekend with the spare 22r. 

IMG_20150503_161902604_zpsrrwcxehn.jpg

Taking a test drive with the dog.

IMG_20150504_181421315_zps9fmjc7c8.jpg

Grandpa had some extra room on the waterjet at work so these happened for the rearend

IMG_20150508_191748882_zps7nucvkff.jpg

Shackle angle is horrible right now, keep in mind we have to move the axle to set the wheelbase. These are just to roll the thing around for now.

• Like 1

Nice work!  Man you have raised your son well!

By they way you do not have any spare parts, your son has extra parts you might get back when he is done building his truck.  That is only if he does not use them.

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive feedback. We were not sure that a dual case crawler would fit in here to well but hey it's a saved Datsun. The truck was cut up to become a drag racer or something before. Since it was already hacked apart I told him you can do whatever you want and not feel guilty because at this point you are saving it from being scrap. 

Joking today we said that if all the inches of lowered suspension on this site are added up, that's how much higher his truck probably is. So the universe is averaged out now.  :rofl:

• Like 2

Your doing a great job Dad!  :thumbup:

Thanks. I don't think I am half as good as my dad was but I try to do my best. 

We didn't get much done last weekend. The engine doesn't fit that good. Looks like we will have to move the fire wall back a bit. It would be helpful to know how think the radiator is off the core support so we can plan accordingly. If anyone happens to have a junk radiator we could borrow for mock up that would be ever better-er. 

This weekend we have parts to work with, we have the motor mounts and dual t-case cross member. We hope to get the engine, trans and cases in along with the cab position a bit more decided on. I am thinking we will have to do a 4" doghouse to get it all to fit, time will tell.

Hope to have picture progress by Sunday. 

• Like 1

That's good stuff right there. Welcome to the house. Not sure where you are in Cali, but if you're around fresno, there is a 521 dropped off on May 19th that looks good. Might want to check it out if you need something. Your son is kickin' it well!!

PICK-n-PULL Fresno

Fresno, California 93706

• Like 1

Thanks. I don't think I am half as good as my dad was but I try to do my best. 

We didn't get much done last weekend. The engine doesn't fit that good. Looks like we will have to move the fire wall back a bit. It would be helpful to know how think the radiator is off the core support so we can plan accordingly. If anyone happens to have a junk radiator we could borrow for mock up that would be ever better-er. 

This weekend we have parts to work with, we have the motor mounts and dual t-case cross member. We hope to get the engine, trans and cases in along with the cab position a bit more decided on. I am thinking we will have to do a 4" doghouse to get it all to fit, time will tell.

Hope to have picture progress by Sunday. 

What about mounting the rad in the back of the truck with electric fans? Less chance of poking holes in it off road and more room in front. Doesn't look like the truck is going to be hauling anything in the back anyway.

What leaf springs are you using? I just kept the top one and added F-150 leaves below for the 9" lift on my 620.

Steering was a cross rod to the passenger side to a modified steering knuckle on top of the axle. This eliminated the terrible bump steer from steering the driver's side.

• Like 1

The front springs are trail gear 4" springs for a Toyota. The rears are out of a '98-ish F150. We haven't removed any leafs from the packs yet, once we get the thing full weight we probably will. This will be a street truck 95% of the time so the radiator will be in the front. We are not into high speed desert stuff so rear mount radiators don't do well. The slow trails can cause air flow and cooling issues with it in the back.

We are located in Victorville CA. kinda far from Fresno unfortunately. 

• Like 1

I would suggest mounting the engine and trans at least, then set the cab on and see how thing line set. Get an idea of where the tires are in relation to the fender arc. As odd as it sounds, a wheelbarrow tub works good for a fire wall.

You may want to see what it would take to put the stock Toyota radiator in too. Not sure how the height would work. 

What year is the frame?

• Like 1