Datsun 510 ls1 t56

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

qwik510

On the v8 510 is the firewall untouched? 

Did you ever check your weight distribution?

What spring rate and shocks were you running in the front and rear? 

Were you running a rear sway bar?

Was your front sway bar stock ?

The firewall was not touched. Had to massage the lower part of the trans tunnel with a hammer to clearance some space for the clutch slave. Also had to cut a new shifter hole in the tunnel a bit farther back.

Sorry, never checked the weight but this engine and trans weighed approx. 125 pounds over the stock L16/4 speed. Moved the battery to the trunk so around 100 pounds extra up front.

I had 280ZX struts with 200 pound coil overs and Komi shocks.

Suspension Techniques front and rear bar.

I've never understood why people have such a hard time with other people's ideas.  Should we all build the same datsun?  Or maybe all of us should just use factory parts?  How about keeping it just Datsun/Nissan?  That should give you a great deal of diverse rigs huh.  I would never do the V8 thing, but I will be the first guy to support it.  Maybe peoples hate is based on the fact that they're own skill set would fail in the attempt to design and build it.  I think more often then not its people who simply dont understand and just need to talk crap about someone elses rig because they wouldnt do what you have done.  Ive built many vehicles.  From custom tube chasis ground up builds, to builds using only factory parts.  My latest build involved a 1948 4x4 Willys pickup dropped to the ground and all the 4x4 world got pissed on the forums.  What they didnt know before I got the chance to build it, was that I was keeping it 4 wheel drive.  It was way more work then just going the same route all others usually go, but why be like others.  And Guys, keep in mind that there are plenty of people that hate us with our lowered "ricer" cars.  Yes, they still call them ricers in there ignorance.  On that note just go for it and keep your dream goin.  Good luck with the build.

• Like 1

I think it stems from the fact that there are only a few ways to get it right and an infinite number of ways to fuck it up. As I stated, I have not much of a problem with this but a big problem if the car is ruined.

Not equipped and ready to run it isn't. The KA is around 380 so lets round to 400. The LS1 is 450 at least. I should imagine the LS1 flywheel is heavier than the KA's 21pound and 'small' 8.8" pressure plate. The 71B trans is 70 pounds so not much difference than the FS5W71C 5 speed but lets round up again to about 80-90 pounds. No way an LS1 is lighter... it's closer than you think though.

To put into perspective the stock 510 engine weighs 260 pounds. So even a KA is a hundred pounds heavier.

Well, I'm not pissed off, if it gets done and does not end up a ruined 510. For sure it will...

Not ever handle like it once did with 150 to 200 extra pounds over the front end. However there are lots of suspension improvements that can minimize this loss.

Be incredibly fast on the straights so brakes and suspension must equal it..

I've never understood why people have such a hard time with other people's ideas.  Should we all build the same datsun?  Or maybe all of us should just use factory parts?  How about keeping it just Datsun/Nissan?  That should give you a great deal of diverse rigs huh.  I would never do the V8 thing, but I will be the first guy to support it.  Maybe peoples hate is based on the fact that they're own skill set would fail in the attempt to design and build it.  I think more often then not its people who simply dont understand and just need to talk crap about someone elses rig because they wouldnt do what you have done.  Ive built many vehicles.  From custom tube chasis ground up builds, to builds using only factory parts.  My latest build involved a 1948 4x4 Willys pickup dropped to the ground and all the 4x4 world got pissed on the forums.  What they didnt know before I got the chance to build it, was that I was keeping it 4 wheel drive.  It was way more work then just going the same route all others usually go, but why be like others.  And Guys, keep in mind that there are plenty of people that hate us with our lowered "ricer" cars.  Yes, they still call them ricers in there ignorance.  On that note just go for it and keep your dream goin.  Good luck with the build.

I think it stems from the fact that there are only a few ways to get it right and an infinite number of ways to fuck it up. As I stated, I have not much of a problem with this but a big problem if the car is ruined.

Well apparently the OP thinks I'm being too negative. I can only assume that "FUCK OFF" two times means this??? On the contrary read my posts. The last is a rebuttal to one above it. No where does it say not to do it, can't do it, don't do it. There are comments on engine weights and getting it done right. No where do I say hypocrite, dumb idea or call it an abortion. 

Tell Dolomite to fuck off....

Isn't 510 purist 6spd v8 a bit hypocritical? Granted, it's your car and you can ruin it as you see fit. One of these days I'm going to rb26dett a 1st gen camaro or mustang as revenge for every ruined import thats victim to a v8 swap.

Christ, even better, tell mrbigtanker to FUCK OFF...

I will say thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard. Good luck with that abortion.

I don't think it'll fit, as the engine would be sitting under the dash board of the car and I think the shifter would be behind the drivers seat. A V6 would work though. VG powerplant is a good choice for a six cylinder upgrade.

Legit BRE chassis? If so, please don't. They deserve restoration, not fabrication. If not, I say go big. Build an RB30DETT and when you cut up the floor pan and firewall to jam it in there, replace it all with plexiglas so you can watch it be awesome while you're driving.

If you want to tell half the people posting in your thread to fuck off, please do it in your thread and not through the report feature.

I appreciate that your getting some flack, but you haven't seen the amount of hacked up, never finished 510 projects that these guys have seen here. 

There are a lot of assholes here, but they are here to help....mostly. :)

Let's see some more v8 510. 

• Like 1

THE "FUCK OFF" WAS INTENDED FOR THE FIRST INDIVIDUAL WHO READ IT AND POSTED ABOUT IT, DATZENMIKE. HE SETS A BAD EXAMPLE.

HALF THE PEOPLE? I SENT OUT 4 REPORTS 2 WERE DIRECTLY ON DATZENMIKE's POSTS.

I COULD CARELESS ABOUT THE OTHER INDIVIDUALS BASHING MY THREAD OR MY CAR, BECAUSE ITS MY CAR! 

NO FUCKS GIVEN HERE. 

if you want to have a beer and talk about cars I'll be going to most north Texas autocross events and cars & coffee starting in July

• Like 1

Your font is out of control sir.

Go work on your Datsun, if I wasn't sick that's what I would be doing.

And d-mike is one of the few guys that will see both sides of the fence, he will give his opinion.

Don't let the assholes around here discourage you from doing what you want, that's what they want, fuck them, its your car.

Screaming how little one cares about the opinions of others does little to convince people that you don't care. I support your build, but damn son, it's just haters on the internet, people you don't even know. They really don't matter any, take it easy. Prove them wrong, finish the build, and show it with pride on here when it's done. Make the haters eat their words .