1970 datsun 510 sr20det build

Hey guys i have always loved the datsun 510 but they are very hard to come by here in nz and people always want top dollar for them... I finally managed to get my hands on one about a year ago. I have had a bit of a head start and done the bodywork but after reading through a few build threads on here i decided i would like to do my own one.. I am not the most mechanically minded person but have plenty of mates who are and a workshop with all the good tools/ hoist and even a spray booth

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok cheers guys i think i got it sorted.. here are a few pics of the datsun when i bought it, it wasn't perfect but i had to take what i could get like i said they dont come up for sale very often here in nz.. the body had small spots of rust coming through in the typical places like rear quarters,bottom of from guards, taillight panel and bottom of doors. and some if it looked like it was full of bog.. but the interior was pretty tidy and it was a good runner so i went ahead and snapped it up

IMG_0394_zpsrtp19c8c.jpg

IMG_0396_zpsjgwwhpxx.jpg
IMG_0393_zpsfmutt35p.jpg
IMG_0400_zpsukztjfje.jpg
IMG_0404_zpsev7efynv.jpg
IMG_0399_zpskoxjijvh.jpg
IMG_0397_zpsbcyhvcsa.jpg
IMG_0403_zpsilhdz2pa.jpg
IMG_0417_zpscudur4n9.jpg
IMG_0408_zpslsnkrddy.jpg
IMG_0412_zpsrsia8ixb.jpg
IMG_0420_zpszetqdxfa.jpg
IMG_0418_zpsxhsgwrun.jpg
IMG_0390_zpsbiycvkq6.jpg
IMG_0391_zpsufwcucnd.jpg
IMG_0389_zpspnjency1.jpg
IMG_0406_zpscagcfgyq.jpg
IMG_0424_zpshqroqxnp.jpg
IMG_0405_zps8t6ck5zf.jpg
IMG_0423_zps8h7g3q2j.jpg
  • Like 2

i planned to get it back home and pull it to bits straight away and tidy up but after taking for a small drive i thought id like to get it legal first and have a bit of fun before i take off the road for god knows how long. as it sat down at the workshop i kept looking at it and thinking i need to get some rims now! i jumped online and brought myself a set of 15x8 xxr 001, i also wanted to lower it a bit more and while i was waiting on the rims to arrive i did a bit of research and found that 280zx struts were the way to go. i managed to track down a pair with the bigger brakes so that was a bonus. the rims arrived and i was straight down to the workshop to swap out the suspension and chuck on the rims... i was pretty happy with the end result

image_zpsqeohv5bw.jpg

image_zpskeyo3dfr.jpg
  • Like 2

shortly after this i bumped into a mate of a mates who was a qualified panelbeater down at my workshop doing some repairs on a rx3 down there, i mentioned i wanted to strip back the datsun and panel and repaint it, he said he was just about finished the job he was doing so offered to do the work for a good price! as i started to pull of the panels i realised the rust was worse than i first thought.. the top edges of the inner guard where rotten as were the bottoms of the front guards. he advised me that the rear quarters looked like they had been bogged up and suggested i strip the whole ass end back to bare steel and start from scratch, once done it was made clear they rust was pretty bad, it was not only the bottom of rear quarter but the inner skin also! i left the car with him for a few weeks and popped down every few days to see how he was going. he was good enough to take lots of photos and send them through to me.. there was rust in the rear guards, tailight panel, around boot, the sills, all 4 doors inner and outer, front guards, inner guards, the floor and around both windscreens. i wasn't too shocked at the extent after all it is a datsun!! here are some pics through the panelbeating stage.. you guys said the more the pics the better so here ya go!

IMG_0333_zpsvoidbboi.jpg
IMG_0334_zpsxxyrrqqp.jpg
IMG_0335_zps8guvdakp.jpg
IMG_0341_zpsfxngcv8f.jpg
IMG_0342_zpse0001fs4.jpg
IMG_0343_zpstj2j51bm.jpg
IMG_0345_zpsxjftcmen.jpg
IMG_0346_zpstz1lwar5.jpg
IMG_0351_zpsyi01yogk.jpg
IMG_0352_zpsg93ad9uh.jpg
IMG_0353_zpsm3yeq6xx.jpg
IMG_0355_zpscianfpa4.jpg
IMG_0356_zpsmrvzsvwo.jpg
IMG_0357_zpseyyahjwt.jpg
IMG_0360_zpseghtokls.jpg
IMG_0370_zpsizzyjp94.jpg
IMG_0371_zpscdsmhpok.jpg
IMG_0373_zpsbudwsoec.jpg
IMG_0381_zpsgzcbzz2e.jpg
IMG_0382_zpskvhtnaxi.jpg
  • Like 1

it had been about 3 weeks and i got the call to say it was all done and ready to pickup so i headed down with a trailer and picked it up. i was overall pretty happy with the work he had done, especially for the price! then it was back to the workshop so i could get stuck in and get it ready for paint

IMG_0615_zpsx24qtzbq.jpg
IMG_0616_zpsbo4olnrs.jpg
  • Like 1

i got it back to the workshop and i was dead keen to rip into it, being an ex car painter i done all the prep/paint work myself.. i knew what i was in for and knew i had a lot of sanding ahead of me so for the next few nights i stripped all the panels back off and began with sanding the shell itself, the door jams took forever the paint was flaking off so had to sand back to steel now it was at this time i  remembered why i gave up painting!! finally it was sanded so i got it all masked up and sprayed 4 good costs of 2pak primer on it then chucked outside in the sun to dry off

IMG_0646_zpswouossmt.jpg
IMG_0645_zpsvkfifktn.jpg
IMG_0644_zpsvmrxlcds.jpg
  • Like 1

next i tackled the doors guards boot and bonnet, by the time i had them all sanded up and ready for primer my finger tips were a couple mm shorter! i was well over it especially knowing i had to sand the whole thing again! i took a couple weeks off working on it and started to look at colours... at first i was looking at solid pastel colours like red green blue white etc but i decided I'm more of a metalic man so went down that path.. i finally decided i would like a silver/gun metal and thought it woulld go good with the chrome trims etc.. i spent about a hour in the printshop looking through colour chips and spraying some test panels and finally came out with 4litres of a factory nissan gun metallic colour.. i really liked the look of it in the sunlight didn't have much of a dark flip to it like most the gunmetals do..
by now i had found some more motivation to get it painted so back to the workshop i went and got stuck into blocking down the with 240 grit then buzzed over the whole thing with 400grit. being a silver i wanted to paint the whole outside in one hit so there was no chance of panels looking slightly different when put back on.. i started by spraying the door jams, boot jam,  inside of doors, guard edges and under side of bonnet and boot. i decided i would do the engine bay at a later date seeing as i had always planned on a sr20det conversion.

IMG_1157_zpssa0gijnf.jpg
IMG_1158_zpswxhjfyxo.jpg
IMG_1160_zpsjxyx2xkx.jpg
  • Like 1

now it was time to bolt all the panels back on and get it ready to paint the outside, i got them all sitting on there and gave it a quick buzz over with 400 grit to get rid of the overspray. then 1 final check over to make sure there were no imperfections before i went at it with the spray gun..i was pretty happy with it so spent the next couple hours masking up the door jams etc so no overspray would get through the gaps, masked off the windows and rolled in into the booth!

IMG_1164_zps40uuofhr.jpg
IMG_1165_zps4zajjcbj.jpg
IMG_1166_zpsx03oqyvs.jpg
IMG_1167_zpshkt9g0bv.jpg
IMG_1171_zpsdd6dpody.jpg
IMG_1172_zpssrqm9q8l.jpg
IMG_1173_zps89ykzmc7.jpg
IMG_1174_zpsyq4zfx49.jpg
  • Like 1

now the fun part! i was a bit worried about how it was going to turn out as it had been about 5years since i last painted a car but decided to commit.. whats the worst that could happen right? turns out painting is just like riding a bike! it turned out great i was stoked with the end result and especially with the colour! gave it a day to harden off the pulled it out and gave it a 2000 grit sand and a polish. come up mint!

IMG_1180_zpsnug6ptm0.jpg
IMG_1181_zpsmvudqmca.jpg
IMG_1182_zpsyneqyrfc.jpg
IMG_1189_zpssnjyagbw.jpg
IMG_1193_zpsbgs3o62r.jpg
IMG_1194_zpsulxpgw78.jpg
IMG_1195_zpshyy4rfir.jpg
IMG_1196_zpsvqvdyyic.jpg
IMG_1197_zps7ncjiglf.jpg
IMG_1198_zpshsvrte4j.jpg
IMG_1199_zpsmfwwrnnl.jpg
  • Like 3

cheers guys,  next was the fun part of putting back together..i was looking around for different wheel options, ideally i wanted ssr mk3s but decided to wait till i finished everything else first. a set of 15x8/9s grid vs popped up for cheap but i knew 9s would be a tight fit.. they were so cheap i couldn't say no. i tried the 9s on the back but they were rubbing on the guards however it looked assume! i was now committed o making them fit, i machined the inside of them down 5mm which made it slightly better but unfortunately i had come to realise they were going to be very impracticalIMG_1268_zpsdo9mrkvu.jpg

IMG_1467_zpsvqowcsxd.jpg
IMG_1466_zpsbgbfwmfa.jpg
IMG_1465_zps85qfn1ih.jpg

meanwhile i started putting all the chrome trim and rights grill etc on.. it was finally looking like a car again and i was happy with how it looked. i decided to put up a post trying to find someone keen on swapping the 9's for 8's, it was only a couple days before i found someone local that was keen so that worked out good. however they were gun metal centres so i would have to paint them but that was no biggie.. i has a quick idea of painting the 2 wheels gold to see what they looked like before i went ahead with silver.. i quite like the look of them in gold altho silver does look cleaner.. i still haven't made up my mind yet what do you guys think?  here are a couple pics 

IMG_1496_zpsl512cx2w.jpg
IMG_1495_zpsqythrao5.jpg
IMG_1494_zpshkcsklts.jpg
  • Like 1

i had been looking on local buy sell site for datsun 510 parts everyday and there just happened to be a 71 510 rolling body just listed for a very good price, it looked pretty sound in photos so i gave the guy a call and pretty much told him id take it, i cudnt help myself. the body was in very good condition it had been sitting in a dry shed for the past 10 years i knew it would make for a good project.. it also had good tidy bumpers and all the chrome trim etc was there

11297681_10205132110561384_1375483473_n_
11297757_10205132110521383_1487418559_n_
11258628_10205132110641386_1325653264_n_
  • Like 1