A 510 named "Hey"

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!   It made it to Canby at about 6am saturday morning.  The test drive was a little after 1:00am it went well so we decided to head out and left at 2:00am haha.  I have a list of items it's going to need.  First is some of Byrons brackets and a sway bar.  Boy its dicy at high speeds.  Some stiffer springs too.  185's just don't cut it.  I'm going to go with some 225's in the front and 250's in the rear.  I think thats what I ended up using before that I really liked.  I'll keep everyone updated.  O yeah I like original colors, I got enough paint to match the fender and gas door :)  

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...

Lots of upgrades over the last few months along with some autocrossing.  

NOS water spray bottle :)

vCHBPpF.jpg

1 1/8th inch sway bar.  Nice for handling sucks for installing.  I rate it a 7 out of 10.  hardware is inch which pisses me off.  Brackets need to be modified and I had to use socket head cap screws and they didn't sit flush.  Then to make matters even worse the TC rods hit the sway bar during suspension travel............  I added bump stops but under some conditions they still compress enough to hit :(   

2yI2Dvm.jpg

0tAWz4T.jpg

6KjBaeV.jpg

T3 coilovers are made for old guys or something...  They can be adjusted to stock height but going low is another story.  Here is a trick to get 2" more travel.   first use Sawzall to remove 2" of material then clean up with the mill.

9XBPqyk.jpg

Ox23C4a.jpg

Here is IMO the BEST mod you can do to your 510.  Byron's brackets and a bigger hole for exhaust.  No more rattle and with proper alignment so much increased stability on the freeway!  The best part is Byron includes METRIC fasteners.  So nice to have to tools to adjust them.  

KEggK5a.jpg

zm3tUFd.jpg

Some cosmetic work.  Paint matching the original color is never easy.  Looks better than it did.  It was a little cold so when I came back 20 minutes or so later I had some runs.  Frank taught me a good trick, just add more paint and run the runs off the car :)  

HxYxNq4.jpg

k4SK5zG.jpg

ioYUwY3.jpg

0yvwUKc.jpg

Yes I know their gas sucks.  I have an intank pump and it runs out exactly at the E line.  Didn't think I was going to make it to the good gas station.  

wga0DGu.jpg

Upgraded the filler to an S13 one I had laying around.  No more gas down the side for me!  

b9znZK3.jpg

VJozFGL.jpg

HVP8Pxs.jpg

Here is a video from my first auto crossing event.  I'm hooked!  

I forget how to embed the video.  

• Like 10

xn2ErFz.jpg

Found a better picture of the sway bar to TC rod clearance....  

s0svAKo.jpg

MMMHHH street racing tires :)

Ra19kut.jpg

The cone ate my mirror!!!  Luckily Carter has a huge collection of 80's 510 parts and is my mirror sponsor :)  

oT8fku0.jpg

• Like 5

Great job Casa de Nieve. Very cool that your track has a long straight at the end. None of the courses I've ever run up here have anything that long. I think if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a KA in my car. In auto cross, torque is way more useful than a bunch of hp at the top end. Maybe down the road I can stroke an SR block to get the grunt I'm pining for.

Really nice car man.

• Like 1

Jeff,

What size bump steer spacer you running? Maybe a larger one would give you more clearance?

I pulled all the suspension parts off a project car I bought.  The dude bought EVERYTHING from T3 which I've decided I hate.  ALL imperial fasteners....  My goal is to UN T3 it.  The bump steer spacers are T3, I forget how thick.  But anything I do at the wheel is only a 1 to 1 ratio.  I doubt I could get close to the amount of clearance I need.  I am going to see what the max height one I can make.  To help that issue along with the roll center on a super low car.  

Jeff whos the girl driving??????? I need some action

Oh by the way Bitch I got a stack of 501s Im going to get rid of so txt me, I save them for you or they go

My girl is driving!  Shit you are going to take those cars to your grave!  How old are you anyways :) 

Great job Casa de Nieve. Very cool that your track has a long straight at the end. None of the courses I've ever run up here have anything that long. I think if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a KA in my car. In auto cross, torque is way more useful than a bunch of hp at the top end. Maybe down the road I can stroke an SR block to get the grunt I'm pining for.

Really nice car man.

I don't think a KA vs. SR would really matter on this track.  Suspension and driver is much more critical.  I'm running stock brakes, bottomed out suspension and shit tires.  Still eating STI's and lots of other fast cars.  I did grow up in the hills and practiced my driving lots!  

Nice driving! My only suggestion is go faster. :lol:

Consider it done!  

Yo ice, is that the lowest that t3 coilovers will go?

The rears was almost until I modified the top hats.  It had maybe about 1" or 2" of travel before it bottom out, not because of the springs but travel.  Since I've modified them and added stiffer springs 500lbs (which is to much!  I had them laying around and the 200's were annoying for my style of driving.) It's much nice to drive.  I have some 300's to install.  Can't wait to try them out.     

Depends on where you mount the lower perch. 

It was max low!  

get a 7inch tall spring instead of standard 8 otherwise it might not go down enuff.

Yep it had 7" from and 7" rears.  

• Like 7

I need to get my crap bix into some autocross next year......I say that every year....

I used to say the same thing.  I almost didn't go to the auto crossing even we just found.  Then I said fuck it my datsuns are always in need of upgrades for safety and speed.  I'm going to go however my car is when the event comes up.  SO SO glad I did!  It helps motivate me to fix the little issues I normally just live with.  You should go to one.  

• Like 1