A 510 named "Hey"

Well.... after all these years of autoxing the rest of the field has either learned to drive or bought Hoosiers.  Now I'm usually 5th in RWD and 7-9th overall....  Damn!  I'm dynoing my car tomorrow.  I wonder if maybe it's down on power.  My guess is the guys are just learning how to drive there cars.  Dave says I shouldn't be bummed since it's still on stock brakes, only has a NA SR and it's in the unlimited class.  Which I agree.  I just miss smoking everyone haha.  Either way my coupe is almost done and that will give me room in my shop to turbo this car.  I'm excited to see what another 100hp does for my lap times.  Also I can get the prototype rear suspension in and do some new front dampers.  At the same time I can't have it down for to long.  They do a race every 2-3 weeks!  Don't want to miss to many! 

• Like 3
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Since everything has been canceled, well except work..  It's time to swap in the turbo motor.  Since the future economy is looking gloomy I decided to just make it work with all stuff I have laying around.  So for now I won't be running any sort of cooler.  I plan to add an air to water setup later.  For now it's like the FJ20 I have in the corner of my shop.  J-piped like 80's turbo motors.  Also just going to send it through the old 2" exhaust haha.  

9qXNN8O.jpg

MbL4f84.jpg

u6ooPpp.jpg

• Like 5

With the placement of the maf watch for super rich to lean spikes. When I first did mine the run from the maf to the turbo was to short and caused wild rich to lean swings. My fix was running the maf in front of the throttle body. It's been working there for 1.5 years and quite a few autoxs.

Nice ride.

22 hours ago, Lozer said:

With the placement of the maf watch for super rich to lean spikes. When I first did mine the run from the maf to the turbo was to short and caused wild rich to lean swings. My fix was running the maf in front of the throttle body. It's been working there for 1.5 years and quite a few autoxs.

Nice ride.

So you did a blow through setup?  You didn't have to retune it? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 6:12 PM, volkswagner said:

Unfortunately, with a snail in the way it doesn’t.

I knew a a guy Tristan who was an engine tuner. He drove this old beater honda civic. For the fun of it, he threw a turbo and engine management on it and tuned it using the factory exhaust. Made 160 hp and 180 torque at the wheels from a 1.5 L engine... old engine at that. Therefore it can be done. Guess it depends on who's doing it...

• Like 1

You can absolutely make torque with any size exhaust. What I was getting at is that the normal NA rule of thumb of small exhaust more torque is not true for turbo motors. The power/torque no longer depends on exhaust scavenging which is why NA’s make more torque with the extra exhaust speed of a small pipe. On a turbo motor the pipe diameter really only matters for the manifold since the speed of the gas hitting the exhaust wheel is critical. After the turbo bigger is always better to prevent back pressure on the output of the turbo. 

Did Tristan ever put his car on the dyno with a larger exhaust or none? I think his torque would go up, not down.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:31 AM, Lozer said:

With the placement of the maf watch for super rich to lean spikes. 

That looks like the original Nissan pipe from MAF to turbo so it shouldn't have any issues as long as fresh air is getting there.

• 1 month later...

Sure am loving the turbo SR!  Even with no intercooler and tinny exhaust its way more power then before.  I've now driven it at 3 events.  My next upgrade will be brakes.  The stock brakes are fading by the end of 1 lap.  At the last event they were so bad they didn't even last a 1 minute lap.  Which allowed a few guys on Hoosiers to beat me..... Damn.  I am surprised how fast I got used to the power. It already feels normal and I want more haha.  There was two driving instructors at the last event.  One of them said if there was an award for the most wreckless driver I would have got it.  Which I took as a compliment.  My thoughts are if I botch a lap why would I not find the limits on the remaining coarse?  If it slides a lot I will try and connect the gates with a drift 🙂  Also when my car was low powered you had to carry every drop of speed you could.  Might as well continue to do that or at least test.  

On a more technical level I asked Jeff who runs the timing system if he would text me my top speed at the last gate since his system can do that.  I was very surprised that no matter how well I did the final transition onto the last straight my top speed was within 1/2 MPH of 75mph my goal was to get to 80mph which turns out wasn't possible...  There was a Porsche GT3 and it make it to 93mph!!   That's out of 12 laps too.  Sometimes I drifted onto the straightaways, sometimes super clean without a slide at all...... All about 75mph

985PoTV.png

Cnt8dzL.png

pWDK2fn.jpg

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

There was two driving instructors at the last event.  One of them said if there was an award for the most wreckless driver I would have got it.  Which I took as a compliment.  

Yeehaw! lol 

• 2 months later...

finally swapped out the front brakes and front dampers.  I had the tokico alumina 5 way adjustable which I felt like all 5 settings were identical.  Now I have the Tein street Coilovers for a S14.  I can defiantly feel the difference in the 24 different settings.  I feel like they are way better but unfortunately Since the layout and the cars are always changing I don't know for sure.  My normal marker got a new car...  

First two laps I had them set at full soft.  It seemed to be really pushy and didn't rotate under trail braking which I like.  I switched it to full hard and adjusted the brakes and it was way better.  Although buy the end the day it seemed a bit to tail happy.  I was super tired and didn't want to adjust anything. Next race I will.  

ll0CN3m.jpg

gotta jack up the car to get it on my lift.  My boy likes to help out where he can

8IvnotN.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The ZX modified parts are off and on with me and Sam's new hubs.  They use S chassis brakes and coilovers. They also correct scrub radius and add caster offset.  Took me a week to get them on.  Kept running into little issues like moving the brake lines again and getting incorrect parts.  Today I should be able to take it for a test spin.  So excited!!!  I need to lengthen my LCA to get my Wheel back to where it needs to be since it's pulled in 1.5" from stock struts.  That will come later.  

iVaqwfH.jpg

vkWWx0b.jpg

j8MfuZn.jpg

0ocWSYb.jpg

• Like 2
On 1/28/2021 at 12:54 PM, Icehouse said:

The ZX modified parts are off and on with me and Sam's new hubs.  They use S chassis brakes and coilovers. They also correct scrub radius and add caster offset.  Took me a week to get them on.  Kept running into little issues like moving the brake lines again and getting incorrect parts.  Today I should be able to take it for a test spin.  So excited!!!  I need to lengthen my LCA to get my Wheel back to where it needs to be since it's pulled in 1.5" from stock struts.  That will come later.  

j8MfuZn.jpg

0ocWSYb.jpg

These look great and to me have potential to provide the next leap forward for front suspension options.  will these be mass produced?

How about a picture between these two with hub/bearing on and no rotor?  What year/model Sentra for the hub?

Thanks.

Edited by iceman510
addition
  • Like 1