Idle and brake warning light issue?? I need help!

Okay, so I put my 78 B210 on jack stands last night to check the reverse light switch because it wasn't working after I did the clutch. The switch has a broken connection and needs to be replaced so I just screwed it back in for now. I lowered the car this morning and went to the bank. First thing I notice is the brake warning light is on. I checked the reservoirs and hand brake switch. It only comes on when it is running. On the way there I turned the choke off (manual cable) and when I came to a stop the engine died. I had to run it slightly choked or it would not idle at all. It was running great and the dash light was off before and after doing the clutch. What's happening? Is it gremlins? Could it have anything to do with the other switch on the transmission?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fixed it! Crisis averted. :thumbup:

It was a 10 amp fuse labeled electric choke. It had a hair line crack in it. Changed it out and it fixed the idle and the brake warning light. I looked through the book and saw that the brake warning light is routed through here. Still not sure how it affects the idle unless it's also part of the ignition...

Carry on

It's not, the A10  and B310 have the same thing.  Probably the 1st gen 200SX and F10 too.  When the alternator circuit goes wonky the brake light comes on (sometimes with, sometimes without the BAT light).  The alternator controls the auto choke so when it goes weird everything tied into that side has odd side effects.

Only way that can affect idle with a manual choke though is if the carb still has an idle cut solenoid, which would kill fuel to the carb if it shared the choke circuit.  I don't think I've ever seen a carb with a manual choke AND an idle cut solenoid, but it's certainly possible.