Datsun 510 Gas caps, What fits?

Ok, so I am working a 510 wagon and need a gas cap, big surprise no one sells them anymore. I've been told that sedan caps might fit, so i'm going to try it out the next chance I get. The question here is more to use as a reference page. What fits on a wagon? What fits on a sedan? We might as well make this useful for everyone.  What gas caps from other cars have people tried (specific to year, make, and model).  Maybe we can get some info here and make this a sticky? Pics would be great, current part numbers with brand names would be excellent!

Keep in mind, early 510's are non-vented and later models are vented, so early and late caps would be helpful to everyone. My guess is the Wagon caps are going to be the most helpful though, considering they are visible all the time, so something chrome is always nice.

Let's NOT post up, "i heard this fits or that fits". Only post up stuff you KNOW fits and WORKS properly.

Soooo.... lets post em' up! :poke:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a '71 wagon and found a Stant G26 gas cap that fits perfectly. I haven't seen the same cap listed since the one I bought, but it's worth keeping an eye out for. The nice thing is that on the listing it showed which other vehicles the cap fits (mine wasn't even listed). So you can use that list to find ones that will possibly fit yours. Here is a pic of it on my wagon:

20140514_172054_zpsbfa947bb.jpg

And this is from the listing saying which vehicles it fit (I don't think it fitting a '69 Roadster is correct):

GasCap_zps7oxcbi9m.jpg

• Like 1

In another thread it was mentioned that a late 80's (I think that's what it was) legacy has the same body curvature and you can cut the filler neck end and gas door off and weld it onto the wagon to have a newer style gas cap and a door to cover it.

• 9 months later...

I'm pretty sure I have a brand new genuine 510 wagon locking gas cap among my hoard of parts in my shed if anyone wants it. No idea what it's it's worth.  :confused:

From what I've seen it just depends on the mood you're in when you post them for sale. I'm interested though.

• 4 weeks later...

68 and 69 wagon caps are wagon only, 68-69 only caps. And as far as I know absolutely nothing else fits them, or has been made aftermarket for them. If anyone knows differently, let me know. Gas station lost mine before I knew how hard they were to find...

If you can look at them in the store without buying them first, the BMW 1600 and 2002 gas caps are odd balls and just might fit!  I had a BMW 2002 [not the fuel injected version] and I recall finding a Nissan gas cap that did fit [it has been too many years ago, I haven't any idea of which model so don't ask].  Happy hunting!  If you find a workable replacement please share with the rest of the community!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a '71 wagon and found a Stant G26 gas cap that fits perfectly. I haven't seen the same cap listed since the one I bought, but it's worth keeping an eye out for. The nice thing is that on the listing it showed which other vehicles the cap fits (mine wasn't even listed). So you can use that list to find ones that will possibly fit yours. Here is a pic of it on my wagon:

20140514_172054_zpsbfa947bb.jpg

And this is from the listing saying which vehicles it fit (I don't think it fitting a '69 Roadster is correct):

GasCap_zps7oxcbi9m.jpg

I have one just like that one, only thing was I quit using it about 20 something years ago when someone put a chicken drumstick bone down my tank then I got a locking one.
  • 3 years later...