Dash and headlights not working

My dash and headlights went out years ago in my 1980 Datsun 210 Wagon

I'd taken her to the shop at the college (where I got my automotive degree) and our tests led us to believe that it was the combination switch. 

But I replaced the switch last year (it took FOREVER to find one) Still nothing.

Fuses are fine... and there isn't even a headlight fuse in the box.

Yet now I'm starting to remember exactly what happened when they went out:

I was driving home and aside from the headlights flickering, the dashlights turned from their bluish-green to a bright orange, like maybe something burned out/ blew up under the dash.

Any ideas to guide me as I tear off the dashboard and go digging? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a "before" pic (and of her prettiest side, lol) because I've done a lot of work on her since. Right now her front end is torn apart and we're straightening the body before putting on the new fenders and core support. 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/63409-1980-datsun-210-wagon-little-beast/?do=findComment&comment=1123530

In the past I have had a B210 do the same thing. I hunted forever for it. It turned out to be in the wiring harness. When Nissan mated multiple wires together they strip open the one and crimp the other wire leads to this point with a tiny brass crimp. It was at that point (the crimp point) that a ground lead wire had broken off.